Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Temperature Problem on Prusa i3 Variant

My Hardware is a FolgerTech 2020 Prusa i3 with a reprapdiscount hexagon 1.75mm hotend. I am having problems heating up with both regular Repetier and OctoPrint. Linked below is the temperature graph from my OctoPrint. Any help would be great. My temperature never had this problem before.

Thanks, Zach

http://imgur.com/qJ3HIQ7

Has the printer ever worked correctly before?

I would imagine this is wrong PID settings in firmware. Are you using Marlin? Consider recompiling your firmware with Arduino 1.0.5 (a Marlin requirement) and uploading to a freshly cleared EEPROM. Double check the PID settings in the configuration.h file before you do though.

Also, Marlin is not the only firmware available to you. Repetier Firmware is popular and allows compiling with all Arduino IDE versions. Also, the PID setup is just a few clicks of max's and min's.

http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v092/

Oh and +1 Zach w/ an H. All hail the H's.
    Last edited by LuckyImperial; 01-11-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyImperial View Post
    Has the printer ever worked correctly before?

I would imagine this is wrong PID settings in firmware. Are you using Marlin? Consider recompiling your firmware with Arduino 1.0.5 (a Marlin requirement) and uploading to a freshly cleared EEPROM. Double check the PID settings in the configuration.h file before you do though.

Also, Marlin is not the only firmware available to you. Repetier Firmware is popular and allows compiling with all Arduino IDE versions. Also, the PID setup is just a few clicks of max's and min's.

http://www.repetier.com/firmware/v092/

Oh and +1 Zach w/ an H. All hail the H's.
    I might try reuploading the firmware. I have had my printer working before. I bought new thermistors and they didn't help. I thought it was a faulty thermistor because i used my thermometer on the hot end and it told me 300c and the octoprint said 185c. I installed the brand new thermistor and that did not work, got the same results. I also checked the resistance and I got 125k OHM.

Technician
    If you have not touched the firmware there should not be any problem with PID, check the thermocouple or other mechanical thing that may interupt.

Quote Originally Posted by oklok View Post
    If you have not touched the firmware there should not be any problem with PID, check the thermocouple or other mechanical thing that may interupt.
    What do you mean mechanical thing? I am currently recieving the M999 error. I was attempting to print and it start ok then the temp dropped quickly to 145c and i quickly canceled print. As the printers hotend was cooling that error popped up. Im really stumped as to what to do. I'm gonna try new firmware now. If that doesn't work im not really sure.
    Last edited by zarnold16; 01-12-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding info that just occured

OK, I updated the firmware and that did not help. Now the hotend won't go above 180c, but once again with my thermomoter it says the hotend is 300c.

Okay, two more questions before you should start diagnosing hardware:

1. Are you using Arduino IDE 1.0.5 to compile and upload? There's numerous bugs that have been cataloged compiling Marlin with anything later than 1.0.5. Windows Install: http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/...r2-windows.exe

2. Are you clearing the eeprom before you upload the firmware to the Arduino? You should do this before uploading any new firmware.
    Procedure: Open Arduino (v1.0.5), Select "File", Select "Examples", Select "EEPROM", Select "eeprom_clear". Upload that sketch.

I am not using the IDE 1.0.5. But Friday I managed to print something out fine with great quality, then Saturday my printer started doing this annoying crap and not working.

Quote Originally Posted by zarnold16 View Post
    I am not using the IDE 1.0.5. But Friday I managed to print something out fine with great quality, then Saturday my printer started doing this annoying crap and not working.
    Sounds like a bug that would totally manifest from not using IDE 1.0.5 honestly. Weird sporadic nightmares that are impossible to troubleshoot = Garbage in code.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyImperial View Post
    Sounds like a bug that would totally manifest from not using IDE 1.0.5 honestly. Weird sporadic nightmares that are impossible to troubleshoot = Garbage in code.
    Okay, when I get home I will recompile with IDE 1.0.5. How would I find the older versions? I'm on mac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast