Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    What slicer are you using? For those who use the 2015 FFCP with S3D it's almost useless for file transfer, nothing new very common problem.

Now if you are talking about printing from USB, using a computer that's a different animal all together. As I said before, I don't print via USB. I like many others don't want to have a computer connected to and running all the time to print.

What do you mean by ".... file types that can be read directly from a SD is very limited"

The solution I proposed above has no limitation that I've found (except file names over 15 character limit), and solves a specific problem for me.
    Yes we have a computer, that I assembled, dedicated just for the printer,.
    always connected thru USB. Very easy that way !
    We use Makerbot-2.4 slicer.

Our CTC printer will only read .x3g files from a SD card, not .stl files,
    and I've read that other printer makes are limited that way also.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-10-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    Yes we have a computer, that I assembled, dedicated just for the printer,.
    always connected thru USB. Very easy that way !
    We use Makerbot-2.4 slicer.

Our CTC printer will only read .3xg files from a SD card, not .stl files,
    and I've read that other printer makes are limited that way also.
    Ok so that make MUCH more sense. We are not talking about that same things here.

The "file type" is not a limitation in the method used for printing, it's a limitation of the printers firmware, actually I wouldn't even call it a limitation, its more like a specification, which is a non issue because S3D converts to .x3g automagically...

Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    The "file type" is not a limitation in the method used for printing, it's a limitation of the printers firmware, actually I wouldn't even call it a limitation, its more like a specification, which is a non issue because S3D converts to .x3g automagically...
    The printer's firmware will accept .stl files, from slicer, if sent thru USB, but will Not from SD.
    ( I only know for sure about the CTC printer, I assume other similar printer makes are the Same)

.stl now seems to be the Standard file type,
    and if you are Forced to first convert all .stl files to .3xg files,
    before sending them to printer,
    I would call that a 'Limitation' !
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-10-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I'm pretty sure you really mean .x3g right...?

Yep, Something 'Strange' Like That !

Student
    I have 4 flashforges set up like this. It works ... kinda, I have issues with big files. The best thing I can think of is to not use mapped drives, but rather, dump the gcode 3xg files into a single directory and write a script to load the last written file to a network path - this keeps windows from accessing the drive when the printer is printing - which I think is a very valid concern - if the sd card is tied up talking with windows, the 3d printer controller may have an issue reading.

In the end, I'll likely write a program to manage printing - then again, I'll likely roll my own solution with a combination of optoprint controllers and flashair cards and a windows program to roll it all together - so I can manage afleet of printers.

Senior Engineer
    The printer's firmware does not understand STl files. Your slicer sends an X3G.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    I have 4 flashforges set up like this. It works ... kinda, I have issues with big files. The best thing I can think of is to not use mapped drives, but rather, dump the gcode 3xg files into a single directory and write a script to load the last written file to a network path - this keeps windows from accessing the drive when the printer is printing - which I think is a very valid concern - if the sd card is tied up talking with windows, the 3d printer controller may have an issue reading.

In the end, I'll likely write a program to manage printing - then again, I'll likely roll my own solution with a combination of optoprint controllers and flashair cards and a windows program to roll it all together - so I can manage afleet of printers.
    Yes, I can see that it can get really complicated trying to use one computer for multiple printers !
    I think I would rather get small computers, to have one for each printer, on a network ?
    With printers and computers connected thru USB.
    They have computers now that will fit in your hand , that are Not very expensive,
    only need space for small monitor and keyboard for each computer.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-10-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post

Interesting, I've not run into any problems with big files yet, but I've only completed 9 or 10 prints using this method. At what size and what problems are you seeing with this mapped drive method? How long have you been using this method?

I just thought of a test to see what locks, if any, the firmware is placing on the files being used. I suspect there are no locks and hence the possibility of problem, just not sure of what those problems are. I've written/deleted both files and folders while the machine was printing, and rebooted the machine with the mapped drive, also let it sleep and have not seen any disruptions in the printer. I have not however messed with the current file being printed.
    Last edited by ServiceXp; 01-10-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    The printer's firmware does not understand STl files. Your slicer sends an X3G.
    No, the slicer software sends G-code commands to printer, thru the USB port !
    ( .stl to slicer and G-code to printer, that's all that's Needed, Not .x3g )
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 01-10-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast