Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer

First time here. I have been looking at 3D printers for a while. Yesterday, I bought the PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer which I think is a clone of Makerbot 3D printer. It took me about two hours to assemble the 3D printer - attach the dual extruders to the top carriage, attach the door to the cabinet, and assemble the top cover. The filament was missing from two boxes packed under the bed. After installing the software and leveling the bed, I printed a 20mm x 20mm box using ABS filament and I noticed some shrinking in the middle of the box. I tried to print a robot's head and I thought something went wrong with the printer. The top carriage stopped short at the front and I found out that a clip that tensions the belt was in a wrong position so I moved it to correct position. I printed a tube squeezer and it worked. Any suggestions for best operation of the printer and the best filament?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...tra_3D_Printer

Just a heads up....the two empty boxes of filament that were underneath the bed are for shipping. No filament comes with the machine. If you noticed in the directions it states the boxes are empty.
    As for the best filament to use, it is going to depend on what you are making. So far I have had no issues with the MicroCenter brand or Inland.
    I do prefer the Inland a little more because it is shipped in sealed vaccuum plastic to prevent
    moisture reaching the product.
    For good printer operation I have found:
    A good clean room with low drafts and stable temperature and filament media needs to be aclimated to the print room before use.
    Hope this help you out.

Good of luck in printing.

Engineer-in-Training
    How do I clean the build platform without ruining the yellow film?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    How do I clean the build platform without ruining the yellow film?
    rubbing alcohol
    try getting the CVS brand that is 91%
    don't use the lower 71% since it leaves a residue
    99% is great but cost and arm and leg
    roughly $8 for 10oz.

Engineer-in-Training
    I can't find the 91% rubbing alcohol on drug store's website.

Engineer-in-Training
    How do I extrude a few millimeters of ABS plastic after pre-heating the 3D printer and before starting a job? I cleaned the platform using alcohol swabs but the ABS plastic doesn't stick to the build platform covered with yellow film as the extruder moves a few millimeters while "drawing" a line around the job to be printed. I think that the platform needed to be leveled again.

In S3D and pronterface you can find a control tab that allows you to control your printer : you can make it move extrude, ... is that what you need ?

Engineer-in-Training
    printer.jpg

Are the extruder motor controls the one that allow me to extrude a few millimeters of ABS plastic? The printer comes with two extruders.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try reading the manual :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    I need some Kapton tape but the label on the front panel below the door says:

Do Not Remove

1. Keep yellow film on the heating plate
    2. Keep ceramic fibre around the nozzle

Who makes the best Kapton tape? I also need "putty knife" for removing 3D-printed objects from the heating plate without damaging either the tape or the object. Any other tools and/or accessories?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast