Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MakerBot Unveils Smart Extruder+

MakerBot has just announced the new Smart Extruder+, retailing at $199 for new users and $99 for current customers. Available for pre-order now, this new extruder is expected to begin shipping on January 18th. Offering a host of improved features, those using the Fifth Generation MakerBot 3D printer can look forward to a more comprehensive and reliable experience, thanks to everything from the improved thermal management system to enhanced sensors which afford users constant status on their prints. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/113536/makerbot-smart-extruderplus/

was extruder the issue with the 5th generation?
    if this solves it does this become a desireable printer?

Ultimaker is announcing something new tomorrow...

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    LOL Smart Exdruder + (plus) because we all know the original was not at all very smart.... Maybe the + means it actually works... We shall see.

Technician
    So they want another $100 to fix a hot end that was junk from the start on an already $3k printer. Hum...

I have been testing one of these for a while now, and I gotta say drastic improvements. Easily the best prints we've gotten from this printer since we've had it.

can this work with a makerbot 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    MakerBot has just announced the new Smart Extruder+, retailing at $199 for new users and $99 for current customers. Available for pre-order now, this new extruder is expected to begin shipping on January 18th. Offering a host of improved features, those using the Fifth Generation MakerBot 3D printer can look forward to a more comprehensive and reliable experience, thanks to everything from the improved thermal management system to enhanced sensors which afford users constant status on their prints. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/113536/makerbot-smart-extruderplus/
    $200 for an extruder... madness...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p3dprint View Post
    was extruder the issue with the 5th generation?
    if this solves it does this become a desireable printer?

Ultimaker is announcing something new tomorrow...
    no the 5th gen also has no heated bed. And for the money they charge you can buy some really serious machines with larger print volume, better made, faster printing and just all round superior.
    The 5th gen, even if it works with a new extruder - is just a major step backwards in the evolution of desktop 3d printers. It's also massively over priced.
    I have no idea why anyone still buys them.

I just installed a Smart Extruder+ and it is better, our Z18 is printing very well. Flats are smooth, curves are nice, even super small supports are working again. They revamped the mechanics in the extruder, no more metal plate on the bottom. The extruder core moves up and down much smoother with very little side to side play. It has a filament tube guide on the top, it changes the path and allows the lid to be put back on.

IMG_2060.jpgIMG_2061.jpgIMG_2062.jpg

I received a new Smart Extruder+ and have had nothing but problems out of it. I have sent 2 different prints to the makerbot since installing the Extruder+ and both times the filament jammed inside the extruder after only an hour or two. It's like filament debris builds up inside the extruder and after so long, it completely clogs up. Then it takes several unload/load filament attempts to clear the jam. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a design flaw with the new Extruder+. I have MakerCare and have been in contact with support; I should have 2 more Extruder+ on the way to test out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast