Close

Lightbulb Introducing the Z-Vat Glass Resin Tray - Formlabs Form+1 Compatible

Greetings Good Print People of the Web,

My name is Zak, and for the past eight months I have been developing a high performance glass resin tray compatible with the Formlabs Form1/+1 SLA 3D printer. After much hard work the trays are now available for purchase. I'm very proud to introduce the Z-Vat to the Formlabs community!

I believe my tray will be a significant optimization to your machine and workflow. The design is more durable, easier to clean and provides a longer PDMS life. No more throwing away resin tanks! In addition to being easier to use, the tanks can provide improved print quality- My beta testers reported the best prints they'd ever produced on their machines.

To see all features, plus testimonials and ordering information, please see my website- www.zvatindustries.com. I'm happy to offer free shipping in the US until the New Year as a thank you to my first customers.

If you'd like more background on the design there is a very long discussion on the Formlabs forum documenting the Z-Vat's evolution. http://forum.formlabs.com/t/glass-tank/4171

Lastly, if you are moving on to a Form2 in the near future I hope to produce a glass tray for it as well. If you'd like to be contacted when it is available email me at zvatindustries -at- gmail.com or sign up on my website, I will add you to the wait list.

Happy printing and Happy New Year!

Zak

Z-Vat Industries

P.S.- If it's not obvious, please note that the Z-Vat is an aftermarket accessory product and is not manufactured, endorsed, or authorized by Formlabs Inc. for use on the Form 1/1+. Sales of such aftermarket products are between dealer and purchaser and are not authorized by Formlabs Inc.

unnamed-5.jpg

Staff Engineer
    I've been working with Zak on this project, and these vats are a definite improvement over the all-acrylic tanks that are sold with the Form1+. Acrylic is degraded by isopropyl alcohol (IPA), but that's the only thing (or at least the safest thing) that will clean the resin out of the vats. These are made from polycarbonate and borosilicate glass, which are unaffected by IPA. The stock tanks are sold with a warning not to touch the back side of the window, since it's impossible to get fingerprints off the acrylic without marring it. That's not a problem with the Z-vat, since the window is made of glass. Using the stock vat, floating bits of semi-cured resin would form and stick to my parts, having to be removed from the models and sifted out of the resin. This doesn't seem to happen with the glass-bottomed vats. And these tanks are reversible, so the side closest to the hinge, which gets more use, can be switched for the unused side.

Zak's taken his time in bringing these vats to market, but he's worked out the design issues nicely, and I think fellow Form1 users will agree it's been worth the wait.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

i ordered one a week or so ago and unfortunately havent heard from zak.. i assume hes busy over the holidays so thats cool... either way, im excited to get my vat I have a stock vat and a form1+ vat, so im anxious to test this one.