Close

How many spools at once is a lot?

I ordered 10, my dad ordered 5 or 6, and I have 2, totaling 17 or 18 total. Is that a lot at once and if not, what is?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if those are full 1kg spools then - yes that is an awful lot :-)

Given that I tend to print smallish items most of the time and always design for a slittle plastic use as I can - 17kg would last me several years at my current rate of usage :-)

Heaviest things I ever printed were telescopic legs for a garden trough - think in total the 4 pieces were close to 1kg. But normally it'll take me months to run through an entire roll.

It's really great to have at least one spool of 'Every Color' that is available !

Or just one colour and lots spraypaints...

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Given that we are filament suppliers I think the answer is that "too many" spools of filament is impossible! Ha

For my personal use, 9 spools covers all of my printing needs. 7 of them are different coloured PLA

To give you a general idea of what's what : to showcase a new concept I am making a scale model of a prototype barge. When I have all the pieces it will be a 1m long model. It will still be less than 1kg. Still, it will take over 50 hours overall to print. With 17 kilos... I'd be good for about 2 years.

IMG_20151221_114224.jpg

That look awesome. What material is that? And why the dovetail? Curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    That look awesome. What material is that? And why the dovetail? Curious...
    PLA, I'll paint it afterwards. It's a display thing, not supposed to withstand much.
    Why the dovetail ? It's a 1m long object, I had to cut it in 5... for length. Makes it easier to reassemble. There are at least 10 other parts for a nice support and a special mechanism.