Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

MakerBot shows off its Digitizer 3D scanner

MakerBot showed off it's new digitizer scanner today. It allows for you to scan in 3d objects and them print them out with a printer. I'm really excited for this! Check out the entire article at: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/47...d-scanner-demo

MakerBot's Digitizer is the kind of thing that sounds too good to be true: a desktop scanner that can build perfect 360-degree recreations of almost anything that can fit on its eight-inch-wide platform. After announcing the Digitizer early this year, MakerBot is now showing it off for the first time, albeit in a carefully supervised demo. And despite some obvious limitations, it seems to stack up quite well.
    The core of the Digitizer is a camera and laser system that captures hundreds of lines around an object. Once you place something on the round platform, the machine starts one of two rotations that will create a series of points around it. Each rotation — one clockwise, one counter-clockwise — is comprised of 800 tiny ticks, as the camera essentially finds the edge of the object over and over. When it's done, MakerBot's companion software will lay a mesh over the whole thing, creating a 3D object that's ready to print. The whole process takes a little over ten minutes, a period that doesn't include the much longer printing time.

WOW, this is amazing. I wonder how soon these will be made available by other companies, and I wonder if we will see an all-in-one printer/scanner come out soon.