Close

Student

New to 3D printing, having some issues looking for advice.

Hello,

So I just got a Prusa i3. Assembled it over the better part of a day and last night and today I have been on the learning curve to calibration.

I have been printing small cubes as I go and the first one was terrible to say the least. I am now to a point where it does resemble a cube but is not laying out full lines. Even the line it draws around the cube before starting layer one is more dots than a line. Maybe something to do with speed or heat? I am pretty sure my plate is level now.

Look forward to the 3D printing world and all the cool stuff ahead. Thanks for reading.

20151227_131414.jpg

nozzle not close enough to the bed

Student
    Was thinking that but how close would you suggest?

Student
    Also, for PLA i was reading 70 for the plate, 200 for nozzle temperature wise, and is there a good feed rate?

usually PLA is .9-100% feed rate... just use the default at 100 for now.

When finding nozzle z. heat it to about 215 or so (midway between abs and pla) then hit Z home.
    take a piece of paper and slide it under the nozzle. you know its at the right height when you can pull the paper out, but there is slight resistance. too tight and its too low, not enough and its too high.

Student
    Thanks I will give that a shot.

Student
    Is it best to use tape? I did and had good luck with it till i scratched it up a bit due to playing with distances. Or just go straight on the plate with a gluestick. I tried with out the glue stick and either my distance was wrong or it just wasnt sticking.

depends what type of surface you are using?
    PEI is far and away the most preferred for getting good adherance with minimal cleanup (none).
    For glass, glue stick works well.
    PLA wont have issues with peeling/warping anyway. or it shouldnt.

Student
    Yeah it is just a metal heated plate. I cant get it to stick at all with out the tape though, even with glue.

take a picture of the plate please...