Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3DPrinterOS 3D Printer Operating System to Run Them all

A company based in San Francisco, called 3D Control Systems has announced the beta release of drivers for their 3DPrinter Operating System. The software is called 3DPrinterOS and will eventually work with hundreds of different printers, allowing users to collaborate with one another no matter what 3D printer they own. The software has many key features to allow for the secure exchange of files, and access on the cloud. They expect to release the very first stable version sometime in August of this year. Further Details can be found here: http://3dprint.com/6479/3dprinteros/

Have you downloaded the test drivers for 3DPrinterOS? Let us know what you think.

I'm at a loss as to what problem this solves.

Each professional printer has it's own locked in proprietary software (I'm generalizing, yes). So now there is another level between you and the printer?

Does it solve sharing?

I think there is a little more to the story... If you remember, Brian posted a story (about a month ago???) in which Auto_Desk was going to do an open source printer that was fully supported by their software. One of the big claims to fame was it was going to run some new 3D-Printer OS called Spark. Why does the Auto_Desk 3D-Printer need its own OS? Maybe because it is going to have 'features' that existing printers do not have???

I would not be surprised to see the Auto_Desk 3D-Printer use a partnership with somebody else to support the goals of their printer. (Maybe this company???) And did you notice... A big part of why this is so 'good' is because of increased security with the 'cloud' to get designs. In other words... They want to lock down the designs they sell you so you can only print as many as you pay for.

Well, they had better have some super good content that makes people willing to put up with this non-sense. Or they won't get very far. I think we can see a trend developing here.

PS. I'm so glad they are going to enable 'collaboration' among 3D-Printer owners!!! I would be totally lost without their effort!

Engineer-in-Training
    They can't be bothered to post screen shots on their site. The site has some words, but they look like they're written by someone that likes writing vague platitudes.

I'm not going to sign up for an account just to see what the software does and how it works. I just don't care that much about a vaguely described service.

I also question their usage of the term "operating system".
    Last edited by JRDM; 06-18-2014 at 02:48 PM.

it's just semantics really, any software that controls something else can be considered an operating system. I do agree though, without something to really show, this feels very very vaporware adjacent.

I still feel they are making a cloud based operating system for devices that work best offline. Another level of difficulty that it might be hard to convince users that they 'need' this.

Quote Originally Posted by f.larsen View Post
    it's just semantics really, any software that controls something else can be considered an operating system. I do agree though, without something to really show, this feels very very vaporware adjacent.

I still feel they are making a cloud based operating system for devices that work best offline. Another level of difficulty that it might be hard to convince users that they 'need' this.
    Or... Stated differently.... What software (firmware) problem do today's printers have that everybody is going to jump through hoops to migrate to their 'solution' ? If the biggest problem you can come up with is I need to seamlessly connect to the 'cloud' so I can pay for and print one of something... I'm thinking they aren't bringing much to the party.

Hello Guys,

I just tried it on my MAC and it is pretty awesome ! I just downloaded it, and created an account. It instantly detected my webcam, and now I have my printer online, and can print remotely. Web camera is pretty sweet. I want to hook up my other printers and see how it works. Really excited ! Leo

Quote Originally Posted by leo.kani View Post
    Hello Guys,

I just tried it on my MAC and it is pretty awesome ! I just downloaded it, and created an account. It instantly detected my webcam, and now I have my printer online, and can print remotely. Web camera is pretty sweet. I want to hook up my other printers and see how it works. Really excited ! Leo
    Well, That is good news!!! Maybe we were being too cynical????

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Or... Stated differently.... What software (firmware) problem do today's printers have that everybody is going to jump through hoops to migrate to their 'solution' ? If the biggest problem you can come up with is I need to seamlessly connect to the 'cloud' so I can pay for and print one of something... I'm thinking they aren't bringing much to the party.

Well put Roxy. That 'killer app' aspect is lost with the hype that everything should be 'in the cloud'

There might be a more social aspect that I am missing here.

*Using lots of quotes through my posts recently*

leo.kani, if you don't mind me asking, what printer you have running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast