Close

Red face New to 3D printing. Need printer advice.

Hi,
    I am new to the 3d printing world and am looking to purchase my first 3d printer. I would like use the 3d printer to create small detailed stamps and molds for jewelry making. Not too sure about what material (PLA, ABS, resin or nylon) would be best suited to print stamps for clay. So large print volume is not a current concern but ability to print small detail is. I believe print resolution is my largest concern. I would like to stay under $1500.
    My current thoughts are…
    1.3d Systems Cube
    2.Printrbot Play or Printrbot Simple (Currently what I am leaning towards).
    3.Lumipocket LT (I recently supported a failed Indiegogo campaign for a 25 micron print resolution printer. I am still feeling heartbroken about it. I also am not sure I want to wait months and months again).
    Any advice about what I should be looking for in a printer or on specific printers from the more experienced would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I think you should buy one of Each of those strange little 'Pony' printers and do a Comparison-Test for us,
    so we all can Learn about them !

Most of Us have $500. 'Work-Horse' type printers .

Unfortunately, I am only but a lowly a jewelry designer. I know how to etch PCB but have no idea about assembling electronics. If I could assemble and fabricate something myself... I would. I am only a nerd wannabe. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I'm guessing (only from what I've read) that a resin type printer will be your best option for getting good detail. Hopefully someone with experience with FDM and SLA/DLP will chime in. The problem is SLA/DLP printers seem to be quite more expensive as compared to FDM.

Quote Originally Posted by acouchy View Post
    Unfortunately, I am only but a lowly a jewelry designer. I know how to etch PCB but have no idea about assembling electronics. If I could assemble and fabricate something myself... I would. I am only a nerd wannabe. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    I was not suggesting 'Building you own' !
    You can purchase a complete CTC-Bizer printer on eBay for $450. , if the prices have not gone up.
    It's a good printer, only needs a few mods, that can be downloaded and printed.
    There are probably Other good printers available in that price range but CTC is only one I Really know about personally.

Thanks, I will definitely check it out.

Thanks, I have definitely considered SLA. Most of them are way out of my price range. I have been looking at the LittleRP SLA printer. The price seems to be reasonable and I think I could handle assembling it. Just need to find a reasonably priced projector and get over having to crack it open and modify it.

I don't think an FDM printer will give you the detail you need.

Maybe something like the Flashforge Explorer?