Close

Engineer

Plastic Buildup on nozzle exterior

Im running into issues with My E3D Hotend building up with melted Plastic as it prints. I find im very often needed to try and remove it while it prints with some needle nose pliers.

The buildup is causing problems with it catching on the print and pulling it up.
    any advice on settings to prevent the build up.

230 degree hotend
    80 degree heat bed.

I use AUto Bed levelling. and it pretty good.
    using PEI Sheet over Borsil glass
    makerfarm i3v with Alum bed
    printing with PET 2.85
    using E3D hotend
    Bondtech Extruder
    .2mm layers
    .4 nozzle
    60/mms sec
    Simplify3d slicer

When that has happened to me, it is always an oozing issue. Try more aggressive retraction settings and/or reducing the flow rate. Also, consider changing filament brand/type. I had some cheap makergeeks PLA a while ago that was really bad about this. Settings helped, but switching to a better filament completely solved my problem.

Engineer
    Im printing with PET and Oozing isan issue for me. I use a 6mm retraction but it still oozes I tried reducing temp to keep it thick but that doesnt seem to help. Next step up is TGlass and thats twice the price

You don't mention the brand. I use PETG by eSUN extensively with no issues at all. I tried another brand and it ran like a sonofagun. I never could get it to work right and sent that one back. Just a thought...

Engineer-in-Training
    If it is leaking out of the top of the nozzle, I would follow Tom's Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr02pG58gaU

I used his method of tightening the nozzle against the break, and I have never had a leak.

Engineer
    pet is a sticky plastic. if you are getting it collecting on the nozzle then that means you are overextruding. if its only collecting while on the first layer then you are squishing your first layer too much. in anycase, its not necessarily from oozing. any overextruded material will be collected by the nozzle.

Engineer
    i buy it from filaments.ca and it doesnt name a brand. so im not sure

Engineer
    When I do a cube test calibration and measure the wall thickness its correct. So i feel my extrusion multiplier is accurate