Close

Thread: Print Cooling

Print Cooling

So obviously i need a cooling fan for my prints. So far i haven't had many issues with my prints since ive been starting out with simple models. I will be getting in to more complicated prints in the future that will have many curves and overhangs with support. I'm using 1.75mm PLA. I know i can find many ducts on thingiverse or design my own but my question is does the fan need to be directed on the print or on the extrusion head? is it cooling the filament that has been placed on the most recent layer? Thanks!!

Cooling the nozzle is pointless, clearly it is the print that need to be cooled. Personally I use a desk fan when I print with PLA and just point it into the printer. The fancy shrouds you get on Thingiverse look great but don't really do much in terms of cooling as a) they don't allow for a large flow volume and b) often just preheated air from near the nozzle and bed onto the print.

Alternatively just remove the sides from you printer and get a good breeze going through the room.

I just use a desktop cooling fan and put it in front of the printer : the PB metal plus frame is quite "open". Works wonders for PLA, but not a recommended setting for other materials.

Quote Originally Posted by sulps View Post
    So obviously i need a cooling fan for my prints. So far i haven't had many issues with my prints since ive been starting out with simple models. I will be getting in to more complicated prints in the future that will have many curves and overhangs with support. I'm using 1.75mm PLA. I know i can find many ducts on thingiverse or design my own but my question is does the fan need to be directed on the print or on the extrusion head? is it cooling the filament that has been placed on the most recent layer? Thanks!!
    Try Lowering the nozzle Temp first !
    Really No need for a nozzle-fan if you have Temps Set Correctly !

I have a 6" fan that cools X & Y stepper-motors and it also moves air around printed objects.
    It is more than enough cooling.
    (only needed when room-temp is high)
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-15-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Great info Sebastian. i also don't feel like getting into wiring so ill probably do that

I have the temp set to 210 as recommended. could i go lower?

Quote Originally Posted by sulps View Post
    I have the temp set to 210 as recommended. could i go lower?
    210 C is Good, if that is the Actual temp at nozzle ?
    I found that ours is actually about 15 C higher at nozzles than is indicated on printer's display.

(I used a calibrated digital thermometer, with thermocouple-probe, to get accurate temps.
    But any digital meter will give good indication of actual temp,
    as long as the meter's probe is in contact with the nozzle,
    not just the block, the nozzle-tube is attached to)
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.