Close

Help ! Can you salvage a blocked/melted teflon tube?

Hello,

When i wanted to load my right extruder and All i got was a clicking noise. Checked the gears on the stepper motor, no problems there....So I undid the nozzle and found my teflon tube blocked...this was yesterday, so I heated up a safety pin, poked around and managed to get the black stuff free from it. The tube was still straight and so I put it back in...

Now again the teflon tube is melted at the tip in the shape of a sharp pencil (because since i was having a problem loading i heated up the preheat setting in the extruder at 250 against the normal 230)...

Can i cut the melted part away and say use half of the other part that is still OK? Or does it need to be the same length as the original tube?

Thanks for the help..

IMG_4390.jpg

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Best bet is to replace. Second best is the flip it around and use the other end, just make sure the bad end is clear of any filament. How hot are you running it?

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Best bet is to replace. Second best is the flip it around and use the other end, just make sure the bad end is clear of any filament. How hot are you running it?
    Hi there,

I cut of the part which had melted together. Stuck it in Acetone for about an hour and used a small hex tool to push out the crap which was stuck in. Then I flipped it around and now it is working great again!

Thanks....Any recommended online store that sells teflon tube for the creator pro?

Cheers!
    Thanks

Senior Engineer
    You can buy it on ebay by the meter. I think it is 3mm OD and 2mm ID

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    For ABS was always running at 230. Since I heard the clicking noises from the stepper, I read around and someone suggested, when in doubt, raise the temperature! So i did to around 250 (or 260?) and that was caused the tip of the teflon tube tube to melt.

Anyways i cut the end off, then flipped it over and everything is working just fine now.

Thanks again!

I had one that was blocked and I took a small screwdriver that was I believe for glasses and cleared out the tube. I'm guessing that as long as the filament moves freely through the tube then you should be fine.

You can clean these tubes out with a 5/64" drill bit, which is just under 2 mm. Individual drill bits can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot. If the clog is 3/8" or less in length it can usually just be pushed out by inserting the drill bit, without a drill attached, and the placing a pair of pliers around the clog. Push the entire affair against a table or counter with some force.

Longer clogs will have to be drilled out SLOWLY, again gripping the tube around the clog with pliers.

I am still on my original set of tubes after 6 clogs.