Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 3D printer recommendation

Hi everybody,

Can I be recommended an affordable 3D printer that besides being affordable, can achieve decent precision of the printed parts of ±0.1mm? I need a hassle-free 3D printing device that will not need babysitting and any special calibration. Plug-n-play solution is what I am looking for while the speed of printing is not a deciding factor. I need reasonable precision, hassle-free printing(no trial-error problems) and a good price(not something overpriced). Can you help me out?

I almost forgot - I need to print parts at least 150x150x150.(mm)

Thanks and I am glad to be part of this great forum!

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I don't think there is such a thing as "hassle-free printing(no trial-error problems) any special calibration" in 3D printing yet. "Hassle-free" is subjective, what you think hassle-free is may be completely different than what I think hassle-free is.

Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    I don't think there is such a thing as "hassle-free printing(no trial-error problems) any special calibration" in 3D printing yet. "Hassle-free" is subjective, what you think hassle-free is may be completely different than what I think hassle-free is.
    First of all, thank you for the quick reply!

I am new into 3D printing. But, I happen to follow a Page on Facebook, called 3D Printing Club, where people occasionally share their experiences with 3D printing. Some of them have shown really weird problems, like split prints, misaligned parts(at certain point), in short - with "hassle-free" I mainly think about this kind of problems. I want to be able to print a part from first try, just as I do print 2D (documents). What I see on my compjuter, I see on paper. I just add ink and paper. That would be, according to me, hassle-free 3D printing. I suppose in 3D printing there are additional steps in preparing and maybe some other steps I am not aware of, but I would not like to spend hours of finding what the problem is with the 3D printer and why it does not want print a simple part(cause by some printer design error etc.).

What about MakerBot? Is that a reliable 3D printer for home use?
    Also, is there a difference between printers in terms of the materials used? I suppose there should be difference in the temperature their nozzle achieve and with that-which materials it can use. I would like to use some tough plastic, that will be durable enough for application and torture.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks!

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I would suggest you wait until the technology greatly improves. There is nothing out on the market at any price range that is as hassle free as a standard 2d printer yet. If you are unwilling to go through the trial and errors that this technology will inevitably bring, you will just wind up being very frustrated.

If you need to have something printed, I would suggest a 3D printing service.

Quote Originally Posted by zorandesign View Post
    I want to be able to print a part from first try, just as I do print 2D (documents). What I see on my compjuter, I see on paper. I just add ink and paper. That would be, according to me, hassle-free 3D printing.
    To put this into context... my first 2d printer did text only on continuous feed paper. I can't tell you how many times I tried printing something and it would spew random letters all over the page as it was spitting paper out at a rocket pace until I had to unplug it to get it to stop. After a while, 2d printing got better to the point where, today... we don't even think about it.

Give 3D printing 5 years or so, and maybe...

The printrbot simple seems to fit your overall size / quality requirement. It includes auto levelling. It is relatively simple to use and the instructional vides are well made.

To say it is hassle-free though ... anyone coming here and claiming that of any printer would be lying. But it is comparatively well made, reliable and usable.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    All 3D printers will require tweaking in order to get the best results given the materials and the model you are trying to print. In general though once the printer is calibrated tweaking should be all that is required, you shouldn't be getting catastrophic failures.

So "hassle free" as far as we can tell is about getting a printer with auto calibration features, this is things like the auto bed levelling would count as one of these. You can buy 3D printers in a range from ones that require complete hands on calibration and set up to those that are built to a more rigid and less hands on model. The disadvantage of using printers that have lots of automated features is that they tend to be more tied to proprietary systems (filament cartridges, proprietary software) so that you have less ability to tweak.

Printrbot have a good reputation for 3D printers and come in at the lower end of a plug'n play spectrum where as machines like the UP mini or UPbox are also very good for more of a whole machine plug'n play solution. The Cel Robox is a very good plug'n play 3d printer but would not meet your build volume requirements.

But remember, as previous posters have said the hardware has not evolved to the same extent as 2d printers so you will need to read up on 3D printing and 3D printers.

Follow Christina Jackson On Twitter Add Christina Jackson on Facebook Add Christina Jackson on Google+
    I also recommend Printbot too, I am a satisfied customer here. Their printers have really great quality prints and they have incredible customer support. Aside from that, it closely fits to the requirements you needed. However, I don't think that there's a printer out there that can provide you with a "hassle free" service. Simpler to configure and maneuver, maybe, but never totally hassle free!

I am in the same position Zoran.
    am seriously considering Ulitmaker 2

Ultimaker was on my shortlist too, mainly because of the near silent operation. They are to expensive to buy in SA unfortunately. wasn't impressed by their customer service either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast