Close

Beginner's Question

Hi all, I am a real beginner and I need some recommendations. I am still considering whether or not I should use ABS or PLA as the filament. I like the texture of ABS, but I've heard PLA is better for the beginner. Is this true? If yes, please also recommend me which PLA filament brands that have a good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianl3d View Post
    . I am still considering whether or not I should use ABS or PLA as the filament. I like the texture of ABS, but I've heard PLA is better for the beginner. Is this true?
    Yes, we no longer use ABS , PLA is our favorite,
    recently tried PETG and it is good also, but needs a little higher nozzle temp than PLA does.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 12-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I pretty much only use ABS and started out with ABS. I don't see any problem with using both (just make sure you purge out the other fitment before starting with a different type), it just depends on what kind of things you will be printing. I need UV, Higher Temp resistance, so ABS has worked very well for me.

Follow Christina Jackson On Twitter Add Christina Jackson on Facebook Add Christina Jackson on Google+
    I think both are good filaments to kickstart your 3d printing venture. I have started using with both and didn't encounter a problem so far. Just make sure that when you switch in printing both filament, check the temperature first. PLA runs cooler than ABS. And be sure to use a heated bed when printing with ABS because it has a tendency to warp!

Hi,
    PLA is definitely easier to use for a beginner : no warp, lower temp, ... that many concerns less to address during troubleshooting : it makes a less steep learning curve.

True enough, it has use limitations, you can't really make a commercial product with it. But it is good to learn the first few prints at least.

I moved to PET for more long term use items : very good.

When I started I used PLA as it was recommended by all as a good starting material for beginners. Was ok. Then I thought I'd try ABS and then quality of my prints went through the roof. Each to his own. Try both.

Thank you all for the recommendation. Definitely I won't be touching ABS as a beginner.

Hi Adrianl3d,
    Being also a beginner I use both ABS and PLA. ABS is a bit of a trial and needs everything set correctly for a perfect plot.
    I learned a lot from experimenting with ABS, not just the printing but about my machine and the design software interaction.
    Although I have a dual head machine I only set the second head to the correct height after getting repeatable print results.
    Printing with PLA afterwards was simple and a lot more forgiving "every one a winner". Try ABS and if you keep at it you will learn a lot more about 3D printing, I certanly did.