Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Hybrid View

Lubrication

Do you ever lubricate your 3D Printer?

Best Practices?

Not strictly necessary. I think keeping it clean, particularly dust free, is paramount to smooth operation. I coat the rods with a very thin layer of silicon oil but more for protection from the elements i.e. preventing rust.

Senior Engineer
    I grease mine with Du Pont Krytox.

Printrbot support suggested a little PTFE lubrication in the rails twice a year.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I wipe down all the rods with a very light lithium grease, that also gets the dirt off.

Not as often as I should ;-)
    I tend to wait till it starts squeaking.

Apparently a good gun oil is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I wipe down all the rods with a very light lithium grease, that also gets the dirt off.
    Not as often as I should ;-)
    I tend to wait till it starts squeaking.
    Apparently a good gun oil is very good.
    This was why I posted this CA.
    I've been running my printer a LOT the last week and just last night it started making a new noise.
    To my ear, it sounds like the reverb type noise you would hear as the "dry" plastic guide tube is sliding over the "dry" steel rod.

It only seems to do it when the print head is far over to the left, headed back right. I was trying to watch it to attempt to figure out which motion
    was involved but found that to be not so easy.

So, I "lightly" oiled the two left/right rods and the two front/rear rods with Tri-Flow PTFE Teflon lubricant....but it didn't stop the noise.

So I guess I'll just lubricate ALL the moving parts I can this morning before I fire it back up. Hopefully it's not a motor.

The good thing is it has a warranty (if that became necessary) and MonoPrice support has been stellar.

Then again, this may be "normal".

Funny this... When mine starts squeaking a little and me trying to find exactly where that noise is coming from. You just can't contort your head that well to get your ear in position to find the source of that old squeak...

I lightly use lithium grease on all the rods and move everything back and forth a few times. It seems that it never gets quiet again immediately, but rather... a couple of hours of printing later... you realize that the squeak is gone...

Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    Funny this... When mine starts squeaking a little and me trying to find exactly where that noise is coming from. You just can't contort your head that well to get your ear in position to find the source of that old squeak...

I lightly use lithium grease on all the rods and move everything back and forth a few times. It seems that it never gets quiet again immediately, but rather... a couple of hours of printing later... you realize that the squeak is gone...
    lol. I know exactly what you mean

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    I use high quality gun oil (Slip2000 EWL).

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I've had good success with silicone grease. I put a small dab on each rod, on each side of each traveler, and smooth it out, wiping up excess. It's lasted a year or so and the printer pushes it around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast