Close

Question Filament extruding at angle and bunching up around nozzle (video)

I've been trying to figure out what could be causing the filament to becoming out at an angle from the nozzle.
    I've cleaned the nozzle at least a dozen time (pushing filament in hot, yanking out, trimming end, repeat) but its still coming out at this angle which is causing it to just stick to the nozzle..

Any tips are appreciated!

Btw this is a Replicator 2X and it's the dissolvable filament

Video:

What a mess!

The only thing I know of that would cause that to happen is the hole is not round. Most likely from crud.
    I know you've cleaned it a number of times....but I don't think you got it right.

Maybe replace the nozzle.

2 cents

Best bet... you've cleaned your nozzle, but haven't CLEANED your nozzle. I.E., taken it out, soaked it in acetone or used a torch on it. There is also the possibility that you have some plastic that's melted and cooled inside your guide tubes.

Technician
    Easier just to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by LAFilament.com View Post
    Easier just to replace?
    Of course. Depending on where you buy the stuff it's 12 bucks or more for the nozzle and another 3 bucks for the teflon tube (plus shipping). Or clean it right. I try to be cheap first and buy stuff later.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I think I'll try the guitar string idea and we'll see how that goes.. If not looks like I'll be doing the replacement route :/

Follow Christina Jackson On Twitter Add Christina Jackson on Facebook Add Christina Jackson on Google+
    Looks like a dirty nozzle or clogged one. Try cleaning it and and see if it works afterwards. If not, then you'll have to replace your nozzle.

You'd be amazed how much gunk can fall into the hopper when the manufacture extrudes the filament, usually dust and airborne particles. On windy days even tiny wood chips and leaves etc. Something like that gets into your nozzle it requires very intense cleaning to remove unfortunately.

- If using ABS only: soak for an extended period in acetone. Then clean out with a toothpick. Repeat multiple times.
    - If using HIPS only: soak for an extended period in D-Limonene. Then clean out with a toothpick. Repeat multiple times.
    - If using PLA only: this is a tough one. Heat is the only thing that works here but PLA will char and burn to a hard lump when overheated exacerbating the problem.

If you have the 'feel' for it you can buy a 0.4mm drill bit and drill out the nozzle by hand. Be aware though that carelessness will ruin your nozzle.

Good luck.