Close

Hatchbox Silver PETG

Anybody using this stuff? It's eating my lunch and spitting it out... I have every color of eSUN's PETG, and I can toss any of them in there at 245/80 on glass and go to town. This silver stuff from Hatchbox (eSUN doesn't have silver)... I've tried on glass from 60-100, on Painter's tape 60-100, with Elmer's Purple glue on either with the same parameters. It just doesn't stick to the bed for beans. Add to this the fact that it runs like a 2 week old baby with diarrhea all the way down to 205 (extruder doesn't even start clicking until 192) where it no longer bonds to itself enough to do any good. What am I missing? I mean, they're selling their stuff. Maybe it's only the Silver (and yes, I checked the spool about 100 times, it says PETG)...

Engineer
    i havent tried that one. sounds like they need to r&d their formula a little longer before they release it. not all petg filaments are created equal. i have tried many and a couple were very difficult or impossible to print with.

Honestly, that's why when I find a brand that works, I tend to stay right there. In this case, silver (elephant gray ) would have been a perfect match for what I wanted, and eSUN doesn't have that color. I figured Hatchbox has been out there for a while, and their silver is available on Amazon, so... why not give it a try. Now I'm not so sure it is/was worth the hassle...

Technician
    I've noticed some brands that individual colors are just out of whack. Looking forward to experimenting more with petg in he future.

Last night I had a thought (who would know, eh?) that maybe something had gone wrong with my printer. So, just to be sure, I tried one last time with the silver using my stock settings for PETG (245/80/clean glass). No way, it ran like mad and didn't stick to the bed. I then took the silver out and grabbed the easiest to get to roll of eSUN's PETG, and put it in (absolutely no other changes). It printed perfectly. Now I'm sure it's not me.

I've messed with the silver enough... went right to Amazon and started the return (I love Amazon for this kind of thing, zero hassles)...

Engineer
    i can say that a while back i bought a bunch of rolls of abs from toner plastics. all the rolls printed the same except silver. silver, if it stayed hot in the nozzle too long it would turn brown, cook and harden. you only had about 30-60sec of no print/idle time with it. purge the nozzle and get it printing right away or it was an instant clog. just shows how different pigments affect the makeup of the plastic. of course it could be that all hatchbox petg is just doomed as well..lol wont know that unless you decide to try another color.

I'll give Hatchbox the benefit of the doubt and say it's probably just their silver (I reviewed it that way on Amazon, specifying that it was the silver that I was giving the bad review for and not Hatchbox in general). That said, the only reason that I even tried Hatchbox is that eSUN doesn't have silver. So, given this experience... odds are I won't be buying another color of their filament to see.