Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    @3DFuture - What is ipv6? How will ipv6 augment domain names? What is going to happen once the Internet of Things takes off?

How will the Internet of Things decrease the need for domain names?

@3DSavvy: Although I have a rather rudimentary understanding of the ipv6, which looks to be an alternate internet addressing system, I would like to share my thoughts about the broader relationship between the Internet of Things (Iot) and domain names.

An analogy that might be fitting is that of phone apps. When you use an app on your phone, you typically don't plug in a website address every time you use it. Rather, you access it through a standalone app. However, the majority of app developers have their own domain sites, in order to promote and explain their app, as well as sell ancillary services. So while people don't plug in a domain name every single time they access an app, the commercial aspect of these apps has increased demand for more app-related domains. It is literally impossible to find any two-word domain which has "app" as its suffix, and virtually impossible to find any two-word domain with "app" as its prefix.

Similarly, I think that the IoT may use some kind of alternate addressing system to connect devices to the internet, namely in the form of apps. And certainly, some devices which are to be connected, like thermostats, lack the interface for textual browsing. However, companies that sell IoT-related devices/services will still need domain sites to promote, and notify consumers of, their businesses. Even if your smart-thermostat never requires the input of particular domain names, the IoT device's point-of-purchase will be on the manufacturer's domain site.

So, the IoT's use of an alternate internet address system may very well augment the use of, and increase demand for, domain names.

Student
    I just sealed my domain name WiZE3D.com My tip to you is to be creative. Think outside the box. It's not worth spending 1,000's on something you can get for less than $10.
    -Mike

Mike- Good luck on your new endeavor; I like the trap/dutch house soundtrack to your promo video. Keep us updated on the progress of your site, so people can learn the pros and cons of a brandable domain (WiZE3D.com) versus a keyword domain (3DPrintWebsite.com).

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    For whatever reason, this reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where there's the law firm that took too long to make their website, and they were stuck with the worst url ever...

I'm not going to put the url here, it's not exactly appropriate, but some of you should know to what I refer.
    Don't look it up at work, or on any work accounts.

That SNL sketch was prescient.

In related news, 3dp4e.com was purchased this week for $4,635. The site looks like it has some articles, and I think it's supposed to be a guide for schools looking to incorporate 3D printing into their curriculums. It seems that this sale bodes well for 3dprinteducation.com & h3dp.com.

Maggie, are you attached to this 3dp4e project? Are you looking to do affiliate marketing, hardware reselling, or some other service involving 3d print education?

yeah.

I've bought like 60 different 3d printing related domains. I'm not sure if I'm interested in selling any of them yet, but if you have an idea you want to create a name for, I'm really good at that. I would help you for free if you want. I have more names than is necessary for any entrepreneur!

Banned
    Maggie, are you attached to this 3dp4e project? Are you looking to do affiliate marketing, hardware reselling, or some other service involving 3d print education?
    Sorry, no I'm not attached to it. I might be interested in affiliate marketing at some point, but probably not now.
    I've bought like 60 different 3d printing related domains.
    I can't believe how many people out there really stocked up on 3d printing domains. I guess I'm not the only one that thinks 3D printing is the future

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Yea, I bought about 6 domains. I have an idea for one of them but will just sit on the others as they are generic and might be desirable to someone at some point. The good ones are going fast but there are still a lot available if you get creative.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Student
    If your having trouble thinking of a creative domain name, try using this outline to boost creativity: 3D[specialty][state located].com - example: 3DshoesNY.com or 3DpartsMN.com. It would be best to find a domain with two words (3Dprinted.com) that's available, that you could own both the 2 word version and the 2 word state specific version (3DprintedCA.com). Hope that helps.
    -Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast