Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Yes, that's a good suggestion. I purchased '3dprintedusa.com' just last week. There are still good ones available.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Technologist
    I don't know if stockpiling URL's is the best investment... Personally I'm skeptical. Who knows if we'll even need URL's in the next 5-10 years.

And will people opt to buy "3Dprinted" related URL's at higher prices or just come up with original names?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by squadus View Post
    I don't know if stockpiling URL's is the best investment... Personally I'm skeptical. Who knows if we'll even need URL's in the next 5-10 years.

And will people opt to buy "3Dprinted" related URL's at higher prices or just come up with original names?
    I got tired of trying to find a '3d' titles domain, i havent done anything with it yet, but came up with www.prints2life.com .. obviously based around printing objects for people, but I need more and better machines I've decided. Currently my machine is so busy I dont get time for my own stuff :/

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    That's what makes it fun. No one knows. It's like playing the stock market or buying lottery tickets. I have no problem buying a few domain names. The thing you have to understand is not to pay more for them then you are willing to completely lose. I'm very comfortable with the small amount of money I've paid to own some domain names. I plan to use 2 of the 8 I have and if the others just wither and die, then it really doesn't matter. It's still just fun to speculate and play "what if" now and then. You never win anything if you don't play and I think buying a few domain names is infinitely more sound than buying a lottery ticket every week.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by squadus View Post

Who knows if well need social media in the next 5-10 years? maybe in the future everyone knows that huge companies sell their data for tax incentives, and everyone boycotts the offenders, making .coms the new way to instant message because its the most secure. I'd rather have a dozen domain names that sound good than to be stuck with some stupid unmemorable one later on. but i guess the solution to that would be to make a new .whatevever, specifically for social media type shit. you can't play the what if game without getting a little far out right?

Mike - You bring up an interesting point. In terms of the new domain extensions, I believe few will succeed in the long run. A big hurdle is that extensions that are too similar to each other, like .photo, .photos, .pictures, and .pics, make it impossible for people to remember a company's domain name.
    If someone advertises "Sarasota.pictures" through other media, a huge amount of people will just go to sarasota.pics, sarasota.photos, or even sarasotapictures.com.

I think that a lot of specific "keyword" domains are falling out of popularity recently. Take for instance, Thingiverse, Shapeways, Google, etc. Branding a totally unrelated phrase can be just as good as having a specific keyword. For example, Google.com does just fine, whereas Search.com isn't even a website. It's not just about the domain name, and you don't need an expensive domain name to build a web presence.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 3d domains View Post
    Sorry, Geoff, editing out the spam
    I'll by them all off you for $1.
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 05-16-2014 at 10:18 AM.

This is a place of discussion, not for active sales or ads, I will be issuing out warnings to all parties who spam domain sales here.

I've gone through and either deleted or modified certain posts in this thread to follow those rules. Please keep the discussion on point and free of sales.

Thanks
    Last edited by MeoWorks; 05-17-2014 at 12:34 AM.

3D domain which might work: up3d.com

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to do this, but I own up3d.com and am interested in selling. Pls reply and I can give you my contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    I've been looking for a good domain name for a 3D printing business i am considering starting up. i am looking for something generic like 3D printing.com, etc. i know what such a domain would cost me an arm and a leg though.

2 Questions.

- What do you think a domain like 3Dprinting.com or 3dprint.com is worth?

- Would a branded domain like 3dgirlz.com be memorable enough you think, or should I go with something more generic.

The business we be dealing with schools bringing them educational 3D printing material.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast