Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual-Extruders, are they worth it?

Finally buying my first printer. I'm an Electrical Engineer and I design UAV payload systems. I spend a lot of my time developing embedded MCU systems for small aircraft and that's what I need a printer for.
    I need to know if I should be swooning over FlashForges 3D Creator Pro with dual-extruders, or if the MakerGear M2 with it's single extruder? Thx in adv for anyone who can contribute their experience.
    The material I'll mostly be using is ColorFabs XT CF20. It seems to meet my needs for prototyping and I'm excited to test it out.

Now THIS is a good topic......

I'm new to the scene so I may not be much help but.....

Advantages might be....
    1). If one head fails you can switch over and use the other. (not within the same print of course)
    2). Some software utilizes optimization schemes that can improve print time and quality by using the two print heads for different tasks while printing the same object
    3). Multi color prints. Can't do that with a single head extruder (at least not near as easily)

Disadvantages might be....
    1). Costs more
    2). More to fail
    3). Second print head can get in the way and mess up a good print

ive had a dual extruder printer for a year now, and never used it.. I used each of them on their own for ABS or PLA, but never a dual color or whatever part. overrated IMO

I use mine a lot. I do a lot of intricate prototypes and use one extruder for the build material and the other for support material, specifically the tried and trusted ABS/HIPS combination. My work wouldn't be possible without dual extrusion. You do need to correctly align and calibrate the two extruders but that isn't exactly difficult. Once done though it really opens up a whole new whole of possibilities.

If you don't intend to do bicolor parts, the only 2 questions are : will you require soluble supports ? Do you need to save time to the point of having different heads for faster infill ? If not absolutely necessary, save some bucks.

It does make the levelling slightly more complex. But I'd like to say this : the secondary head is problematic only when in use. When you use the 2 heads in a print, it helps to turn off the one you don't use.

If you like to be redundant, a second head can ensure you work when one is down.

I don't regret buying my printrbot Metal Plus Dual, very good & reliable. I don't use the second head that often.

Senior Engineer
    Single head printers are slightly better quality due to reduced mass on the major moving part. Less ringing on corners.

I'm not sure that should change your mind about things, it really isn't that big a deal but nevertheless it is true.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it can be an issue when you have alittle filement sticking out of the head you're not using. had to take a file to the non-in-use head on more than one occasion. But generally it's not a big issue.

It gives you options and very few negatives.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Single head printers are slightly better quality due to reduced mass on the major moving part. Less ringing on corners.

I'm not sure that should change your mind about things, it really isn't that big a deal but nevertheless it is true.
    Only if you don't compensate with a lower print speed.

Higher mass does not equal poor prints. Highter mass equals a greater chance for poor prints if you don't use a speed appropriate to your mass and acceleration.

Follow papabur On Twitter Add papabur on Facebook Add papabur on Google+ Add papabur on Thingiverse
    Yes, they are worth it bud. Come check out my 3d printer design at http://mobious.org -i just released my dual extruder design!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast