Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Not sure what the absorption rate is for ABS, but I have left spools out for months on end without any problems. I primarily use Hatchbox.

Will setting in an airconditioned office for 10 days cause any problem?

My oven can only go as low as 170. I have to find an alternate way to warm it up.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    If you are starting out with good filament, I doubt very seriously that you will see any problem at all. I've left mine out for WAY WAY WAY Longer without any problems...

Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    If you are starting out with good filament, I doubt very seriously that you will see any problem at all. I've left mine out for WAY WAY WAY Longer without any problems...
    Cool. I don't know if this is good filament or not. It's generic and came with the printer. I put a dehumidifier in my office to run until my mylar bags and desicant arrive.

Engineer
    I store my filaments piled on top of each other in a closet :P They all still work great months and months after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by ServiceXp View Post
    Not sure what the absorption rate is for ABS, but I have left spools out for months on end without any problems. I primarily use Hatchbox.
    I always put spools in zip-lock-bags with desiccant-bag,
    but I wonder how big a problem a little humidity can Really Be ??
    Solid filament should Not act like a Sponge and Suck-up moisture, from the air,
    like I've read before ???
    I think those that warn about moisture don't really Know that is a problem or Not !
    I think some just use that as an excuse, when there are really Other problems with the filament,
    or their printer settings.
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 11-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Will setting in an airconditioned office for 10 days cause any problem?

My oven can only go as low as 170. I have to find an alternate way to warm it up.
    well as air conditioning generally removes moisture from air - it's pretty much the ideal conditions.

That said I have a temp/humidity thing in my workshop and the humidity varies between 40-60 % and I've never noticed any difference in filament stored in bags with silicon and stuff I couldn't be arsed to put away that's just been sitting on a surface for the last 6 months.

But I use pla and exotic filaments - not abs or cheap nylon.

So who knows - I do know that it's not something I worry about any more :-)

If I remember to put it back in a bag - well and good. If I don't - eh, who cares, makes no difference to how it prints. :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-25-2015 at 04:22 PM.

THanks! answered all my questions

Nice! thanks for the tips, guys!

There are many materials that you can use for 3D printing. However, the most popular plastics are PLA and ABS. Since they are the two dominant materials, they are often compared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast