Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PETG Filament when resistance to cracking is necessary?

Hello,
    I find items made with PLA to be to rigid and inflexible for the things I want to make.

Is PETG a more flexible PLA material to use for items that need a small degree if flexibility and resistance to breaking due to flexing?

Or...

Would ABS be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Hello,
    I find items made with PLA to be to rigid and inflexible for the things I want to make.

Is PETG a more flexible PLA material to use for items that need a small degree if flexibility and resistance to breaking due to flexing?

Or...

Would ABS be a better choice?
    I'm going to have to Order some PETG and find out for Myself ??
    I get Conflicting reports about how Flexible it Really is !
    (Evidently it mainly depends on how thick or Thin the printed object Is ??)

(ABS is Definitely Not flexible but it is Durable)
    It sounds like you need plastic that is More Durable than it is Flexible ??

I've found PLA to be Both Flexible and Durable tho !
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 11-18-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    petg is a lot more flexible than pla. It's actually what 2 litre (and presumably smaller ones too) soda bottles are made of. If that helps :-)

(Evidently it mainly depends on how thick or Thin the printed object Is ??)
    yes.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    petg is a lot more flexible than pla. It's actually what 2 litre (and presumably smaller ones too) soda bottles are made of. If that helps :-)

yes.
    Okay, I ordered a spool of eSUN PETG from eBay.
    Will give it a TRY !

The PETG material I am using is flexible to the point where it just stays bent or the layers starts cracking apart. Print slowly with fans off to get better layer adhesion. This might of course make it difficult to print more detailed objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrrs View Post
    The PETG material I am using is flexible to the point where it just stays bent or the layers starts cracking apart.
    Wow ! "cracking apart" , that Don't sound good !

Looks like the PETG I ordered has not even been shipped yet,
    so may be a while before I can try it.

I always print PETG at 80% of the speed that I print PLA, and almost exclusively without the extra cooling fan. My 3D printed quad is plenty strong, with just enough give, to not crack up in a moderate crash.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The PETG material I am using is flexible to the point where it just stays bent or the layers starts cracking apart. Print slowly with fans off to get better layer adhesion. This might of course make it difficult to print more detailed objects.
    sounds like you need to print at a higher temp.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    sounds like you need to print at a higher temp.
    I don't mean that the prints normally are prone to crack up, with the right design it is a durable material. But applying enough force something has to give of course. Raising the temperature leads to more oozing and strings, so you'll need to find the balance somewhere I guess.

I don't mean that the prints normally are prone to crack up, with the right design it is a durable material. But applying enough force something has to give of course. Raising the temperature leads to more oozing and strings, so you'll need to find the balance somewhere I guess.
    Ahh, Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast