Close

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 12" I3V Build

Technician
    And I just realized as is the shroud will hit the build plated when Z is zero'd. Guess I'm going to be printing the shorter shroud or actually using the model I spent to much time in SketchUp fixing the mesh issues from importing the stl to make a longer bracket.

Technician
    Um, so ya, put the bracket on the right way and it clears the print bed :P

Student
    Nice work Dustin . Which fan did you pick to cool your print?

Chachin..

Technician
    I'm just using the extra 40mm fan Colin includes with the kit for now. I'll eventually get another one or make something new that will use a blower style fan.

Technician
    IMG_20160307_092957120.jpg

Working with partial circles of different sizes in SketchUp is a pain in the ass. Took me way longer than it should have to get working models. I think I've learned what not to do now though and should not have as many issues in the future. Add to that I made a couple rookie errors with this design (the bracket to hold the water filter together). I made the middle too thin and printed it in the wrong orientation for where I needed the strength in the part. I was thinking the flex needed for it to snap on should be the stronger axis but after it broke on the first install and the more I think about it's purpose I should lay the part flat on it's back after I rework it a bit and make the middle thicker.

On the upside I was really impressed with how cleanly the support material MatterControl generated came off the part though. Didn't come off that easily (mostly because I don't have the right tools for working inside smaller parts yet), but it did come off nicely.

Technician
    IMG_20160311_123110319.jpgIMG_20160310_213412908.jpgIMG_20160310_213500621.jpg

Well after 4 tries I finally have a finished part that works. First one is the one that was 2x the size it should have been because I forgot I measured diameter but was entering radius in Sketchup. Second is the first in the 2nd picture, I made it slightly too small and printed it in the wrong orientation so it broke. Middle one I used the profile from the first and managed to screw up the radius of the circle I drew again. Attached a 20.1mm circle to the point that was supposed to be 17.3mm so it was too big. Next one I got right and you can see it fitting on. I might make it wrap around a little more and slightly smaller so it snaps on a bit more positively, but that one won't fall off on it's own so I'll likely leave it alone for now. Now it's time to design the case for my glasses.

Technician
    Before I get too far in printing things I guess I should print a spare Gregg's extruder. I'm unfamiliar with OpenSCAD, looking like I'm going to have to learn a bit about it through with how prevalent it seems to be in parts for 3d printers. Can I use some of the STL files from your version of it printbus as is with my E3D V6, or will I need to recompile it with some values changed?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Using the e3dv6, you should be able to use the stl files as-is.

Technician
    So decided to try and fine tune my retraction and extrusion multiplier a bit more before I print the spare extruder. Tried to use this file.

http://shop.felixprinters.com/downlo...oad=_40x10.STL

Displays fine in the 3d view of MatterControl, but when I slice it all I can manage to get is the 2 perimeter loops that make sure you have a good flow before you start the object and then part of the top curve (60 layers though). Nothing else shows up. I tried grabbing a bunch of other single wall or 0.5mm cubes from thingiverse and they're even worse. Nothing shows up in the slice view at all and it only shows 2 layers.

Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

Technician
    Solved my issue. Apparently mattercontrol won't do anything the same size or smaller than the nozzle diameter. Model was 0.4mm walls, changed the nozzle diameter to 0.39 and it slices fine. So I made my own quick model with 0.5mm walls which worked fine from the perspective of getting it to print.

However I'm at a bit of a loss again as the gcode says my extrusion width is 0.4mm but the resulting object is measuring 0.8-0.85mm. I'd just re-done the e-steps test and verified my values before this print so I can't see it being out that far.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast