Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Building a 3D-printed QuadCopter

I started printing parts for my first QuadCopter about a 2 weeks ago
    and now have most of the parts ready for assembly .
    I've also collected most of the motor, electronics and radio parts needed.
    ( I hope to have GPS, Telemetry, and 2 cameras in it)

All plastic parts are made with white PLA and were downloaded from thingiverse.com
    and most are for a fairly large design called 'Spyda'
    I had to modify size and shape of some printed parts to make them fit properly.

I remember others on this forum saying they had built Multi-Copters
    and was wondering which designs you have flying ??

This has been and is a Fun project !

I'm on my 3rd 250/250+ build. This one is a ZMR and will be fluorescent orange (all with PETG). I know PLA is supposed to be getting better. That said, every quad I've seen that was built with PLA seems to get parts remade constantly. PETG has more strength plus just enough flex to seem to be able to withstand the crashes a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    I'm on my 3rd 250/250+ build. This one is a ZMR and will be fluorescent orange (all with PETG). I know PLA is supposed to be getting better. That said, every quad I've seen that was built with PLA seems to get parts remade constantly. PETG has more strength plus just enough flex to seem to be able to withstand the crashes a little more.
    "Crashes !" CRASHES ! Who Me Crash ! LOL

Thanks for the Tip, if I have problems with the PLA parts I will certainly try the PETG.
    I've not printed anything with PETG yet and I plan to try it soon !
    The PLA parts seem fairly strong but as you say 'Crash landings' will be the Real Test .

It seems that the PETG may be Too flexible for the Motor mounting Arms though ??
    Shouldn't they be very Ridged ?

I'm wondering which type cameras and video-transmitters you have tried ?
    I'm now trying to determine which types of camera system would be best to use ?
    Do you like the GoPro style camera or do you like the smaller, lighter types ?
    There are printable mounting-brackets, for various cameras at thingiverse.com.
    So, I need to determine which cameras to use before I can print the mounting-brackets ?
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 11-14-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Check out the arm in the second picture here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:720139 Trust me, no flex at all on that arm.

I've tried all kinds of cameras and transmitters as I have a lot of quads (you can never own too many!). For just flying, my favorite cam is: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...ra%252dUS.html

For 1080p video, the Mobius (make sure you get a genuine one!) is great. It's way lighter than a GoPro.

I remixed this a few different ways for my camera mounting depending on which camera. Also I turned it into a tilt only gimbal: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:137056
    You just can't go wrong with a tilt gimbal. Without it you either end up looking at the ground when you're flying fast, or you use a wedge and you're looking at the sky when you're flying slow...

Thanks for the great Info !

I had purchased a camera very similar to one at securitycamera2000 website,
    on eBay, but have not tested it yet and not sure if I want to use it.
    I have not looked at the Mobius camera yet,
    since it seemed that it would be more difficult to mount, due to it's long shape ?

Yes, the GoPro type are large and heavier but I kinda like that they have their own battery
    and do not use power from flight battery.
    How Much difference that would make I'm Not sure ?

I really like that gimbal design,
    It's much more compact than many other designs I've seen.
    I'll probably test fly it first and then add a camera Gimbal-mount,
    if there's no weight or servo power problems.

This is pic of 1/3" Sony camera I got at eBay:
    (Click pic for larger view)
    camera 1-3in.jpg
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 11-14-2015 at 06:15 PM.

The Mobius is easy to mount on a gimbal. I have it here temporarily while I build the ZMR quad where I will mount it on the front in a much better position. The neat thing about the gimbal is that it keeps the camera pointed level at all times except... when I flip a switch where I have it configured to point down at a 30° making it perfect for taking pics and video from up high.

Mobius gimbal.jpg

While the Mobius has it's own battery, it really doesn't use much flight battery at all, so I have it connected to it and configured to automatically turn on and start recording when the flight battery is plugged in.

The pic of the camera you put up looks like a CCD camera. If it is, then I have it on one of my quads and consider it a quality camera as well.

Banned
    Add 3Dalloy.cc on Facebook Add 3Dalloy.cc on Google+
    wishing to see your masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    The pic of the camera you put up looks like a CCD camera. If it is, then I have it on one of my quads and consider it a quality camera as well.
    Okay, I'll mount that Sony camera first and see how it goes.

Well they call it a CCTV camera, I assume that is the same as a CCD.

I plan to experiment with different type cameras and camera-mounts to see which I like best.

I was also wondering about this type camera, see pic:
    It is Very small and has 1/3" lens also
    ( much smaller rear box and lighter, than the Sony I have now, but may not be as durable)
    Being lighter it may vibrate Less ?
    I found a mounting bracket for it at thingiverse also.

camera small 1.jpg
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 11-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.

CCTV doesn't mean CCD (it means Closed-circuit television), more info is needed to determine what it is.

That second camera is for sure a CMOS camera (I own two of them and eventually ended up putting them on my Quanum V1 and V2 goggles). While it will certainly work, it will in no way have as good a pic under adverse conditions as a CCD camera.

LOL, Okay I'll try to take some pictures soon , before I mount any motors and electronics.
    and then more later after those are installed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast