Close

17 Year old Builds the Ultimate 3D Printer - Tsudoshi

There are a lot of consumer based 3D printers out there, ranging in price from $200 all the way up to thousands. None of them though can print in PLA, ABS, and do milling work, including tabletop cutting, etching and injection molding though.

Well, that's until a 17 year old West Hawaii Explorations Academy student decided to make his own 3D printer. Riley Tsunoda was not satisfied with the PrintrBot 3D printer his school had. Instead of simply dealing with what it lacked, like the other students in his class, he decided to learn how to make his own 3D printer, and boy did he learn.
    “When I set out to do this, I wasn’t 100 percent completely sure I could do this,” he said. “This project proved that it doesn’t matter what place you are or what background you have. As long as you are willing to try as hard as you can and learn along the way, and you can convince others to believe in it too, you can accomplish anything,”
    said Riley.
    Riley created a 3D printed that can print in multiple materials, PLA, and ABS filaments, as well as do injection molding, cutting, and etching. He taught himself how to make the printer and spent just $603 building it. After 6 different prototypes Riley created, it took the 7th before he found the exact setup he liked. The machine is built mainly out of aluminum and can print 100 micron resolution prints. The build size can be up to 200X200X200 millimeters. He called the printer, the Tsudoshi, which happens to be his grandfathers first name.

Thanks Brian.
    Has anything been released (specs/files etc)?

Would love to look at how it was made and even make one too.

I agree. I'd definitely love to have a go at a printer like this, especially considering it is a homebrew setup!!

I think that this machine shows the full utility of computer numerical control systems. If a manufacturer could develop a basic machine which has interchangeable heads for various tasks it would be a real winner. Consider how the opposite idea is being used in powered hand tools where a number of different tools can be powered by one type of L-ion battery pack.

Old Man Emu

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    EDIT: Whoops, never mind, we haven't announced all that yet.

Student
    you big tease