Close

Hybrid View

Make: Magazine's 2016 3D Printer Buyers Guide

LulzBot and SeeMeCNC are being honored by Make: Magazine for the Ultimate Guide to Desktop Fabrication 2016. Aleph Objects is taking the titles for their LulzBot TAZ 5 3D printer, including "Outstanding Open Source" as well as "best Overall." SeeMeCNC's Rostock MAX v2 has been named "Best Value." Make: assembled 16 well known experts in the digital fabrication field, including Matt Stultz, Make':s digital fabrication editor, to evaluate the years top performing 3D printers and CNC mills. They subjected the machines to rigorous testing and side-by-side comparisons of each model of printers attributes, quality and ease of use. You can read more about this award over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/103522/make-2016-taz5-rostock-max/

Can anyone tell me where to get a copy of this review??? Barnes and Noble, who just hosted their B&N Makerfaire with Make Magazine, has no idea when I can get a copy. Is there an on line link I can use to order one.
    I recommend printers to lots of people and I'd like to have the latest review.

Engineer-in-Training
    I think it's just coming out to subscribers now, and is due to be on most shelves by the end of November. This guide like every year is actually just the winter issue of Make, and given that the current issue is on shelves until the 23, I would think it would be available then....still I cherck every day hahaha

I think you can buy a download online on the Make website.

Engineer-in-Training
    I was wondering about that, I couldn't seem to find it, and trying to subscribe gave me errors....maybe they just don't like us canadians lol

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    do make actually just look at american made printers (and ultimaker) ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes and no, a lot of the printers have been from american manufactuers, but others such as the Witbox, Felix, BEE, LeapFrog and even Wanhau make it into the reviews. From what I've seen through pics and tweets of the review process, it's a much larger spectrum of printers this year, and also including laser cutters, and desktop CNC such as Shopbot, Carvey and Shapeoko too.

I think if you're a small manufacturer your chances are greater if you're in northern america. Most big manufacturers seem to be there.

Engineer-in-Training
    Agreed. I'd be curious to see what the shipped units numbers are for most manufacturers. Are we looking at tens of thousands for say Printrbot, or hundreds of units for others...