Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sandblaster for smoothing prints?

Just curious if anyone uses a sandblaster for getting rid layer lines, or little bits here and there... If you went with really fine media I think it would work well and allow a few layers of paint to cover smooth.
    thoughts?

looking at this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/OEM-24815-Benc...TNY0TDF2E60F9Q

I have been considering this too. Might be a great little labour saver but am also not sure if it would work well on plastics.

I am really interested in this but since it is for hobby I don't want an industrial setup. However, I'm still looking for a "simple" machine :
    - compressor
    - spray gun
    - "box" with see through lid
    - recycling pump for sanding media at the bottom of of the "box"

Haven't been able to find an all in one kit. If you do find one, I'm game.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    We recently had a pretty good thread on this topic. Searching might be able to find it.

I have access (well, it's my job) to a full professional setup (walk in 1 car garage size, space suit etc etc) and various other smaller setups, with grits ranging from 20 (tiny pebbles practically) to 250 (basically powder), I've used 36 and 54 grit on prints and have had decent results with them, but I'd want something in the 75 range to smooth them out pretty well, at something like 20-30 psi.

If I was set on painting a print, I'd smooth it with acetone first, then blast it to roughen up the surface. Otherwise, without the acetone, you'd be left with the layers and small gaps.

The other thread has a bunch of good links to home blasting setups.

As for saving money, I've been thinking about making my own for use at home, welding up a decent sized glove box using 1/8" Titanium plate (another thing I have practically unlimited access too, Steel or Aluminum, not so much), good sheet of lexan for a window (using thin clear plastic sheet for a disposable shield, don't want to ruin the lexan, and it'll go quicker than you think). I'd get a commercially available hopper and air supply, but I figure one could easily fashion a reclaimer/separator out of a funnel, some buckets, and a shop vac. The reclaimer would keep the grit to a standardish size, while getting rid of the dust.

well, i am primarily not printing with ABS, so acetone smoothing isnt my best option
    with sandblasting, sure it will create pits etc, but it seems like a couple extra coats of paint may be able to cover up the roughness. maybe im dreaming.. seems to be no good way to smooth these prints.

i havent tried that stuff . to me it looks fake.. I dont think it makes the part look very good. I think it rounds the corners so much etc... i cant put my finger on it, but i just dont like the look lol

Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    Just curious if anyone uses a sandblaster for getting rid layer lines, or little bits here and there... If you went with really fine media I think it would work well and allow a few layers of paint to cover smooth.
    thoughts?

looking at this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/OEM-24815-Benc...TNY0TDF2E60F9Q
    I have a similar sand blaster cabinet. I tried it on PLA, also on DLP resins. Almost no effect. Maybe there is not enough pressure. But it did not work for me. Cannot recommend.

what PSI were you pushing through it hugues?

Engineer
    i have a bunch of different blasting setups and blast plastic parts all the time. the key to plastic or really anything is the media and pressure. you need to be using the right media. in my one cabinet i have crushed recycled glass. its very fine and cuts well. i turn the pressure down to about 40 psi and keep the gun at about 8" away. this keeps the media from digging into the printed part. its very much like spray painting a matte finish on your part. it does work nicely.......IF its the type of look your going for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast