Close

Can you teach yourself

the mechanics of 3d printers/printing without actually having one in front of you? I mean yes I know of course you can
    but does anyone have experience like this, using online content to teach you to 3d print before ever coming in close contact with a printer?
    Has it actually helped in the long run? I don't have a track record or any kind of natural talent for the mechanics of printers of any kind.
    Where I am I don't have access to workshops which I don't imagine to be that different from an online lecture anyway and I don't have access yet to
    a printer without spending a great deal of cash first. If anyone knows the answer to this let me know thanks.

Reading online about 3D printing techniques and tricks helps a great. And once you've decided on a particular printer it would behove you to google it intensive to learn other owners pitfalls and tips. Ultimately though the real learning will start once you apply your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Reading online about 3D printing techniques and tricks helps a great. And once you've decided on a particular printer it would behove you to google it intensive to learn other owners pitfalls and tips. Ultimately though the real learning will start once you apply your knowledge.
    Yes, That was my Game-plan,
    Did lots of online research before buying printer
    and I thought I knew a great deal about the process
    but when I got the printer and started making things,
    I discovered how Much More I Needed to Learn !

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep pretty much what i did. 9 months of research and reading up.

The main thing it does is give you a much better idea what's happening when things don't go as planned.

And also means you you start a lot fewer threads along the lines of: 'bought a printer, can't be arsed to read the quick start manual - how do i load filament ?'

And i wish I'd made that up :-)

Also to visualise the printing itself.
    Get GCODE simulator.
    It's just a java applet/program and it runs on Windows/Linux/Mac/Android (no iOS).

You can cut the STL's and print away using this program, it's brilliant. I use an older version (18 iirc) as it has no adds.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:44286