Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Here is my first print of my own stl object. I sliced it using Cura. Very nice!

The finished object without flash
    WP_20151225_012.jpg

The finished object with flash (layers are more visible than with human eyes)
    WP_20151225_010.jpg

The object with support structure and adhesion platform done by Cura.
    WP_20151225_004.jpg

A bolt with the screw from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:182077
    WP_20151231_001.jpg

A whistle from Thingiverse (no sound ): http://www.thingiverse.com/make:186249
    WP_20151231_006.jpg

A handle designed by me and sliced with Cura, the hooking was measured with a digital caliper and designed with 0.2mm margin: works perfectly!!!)
    WP_20160111_20_27_17_Rich_LI.jpgWP_20160111_20_28_05_Rich_LI.jpg

I have another model done in 3 parts that interlocks and is really beautiful but I cannot post as it's top secret for now...

I've bought quite a few samples of different "special" filaments to try out. First up is Laywoo-D3, a wooden filament.

To use the samples I first printed a sample spool based off of a design from thingiverse but with a custom inner ring (and just a small size difference in the arms), printed in newmatter pink. Works well enough, arms are detachable, a small problem with filament not being wound hard enough and sort of sliding out, I've seen other designs that might be better in this regard, but for now I'm sticking to this one. If anyone is interested I might stick it up on thingiverse (or even try to get it into the newmatter store?)

First print with special filament: the classic Le Fab Shop elephant. Printed without support, a 1 mm shell and with 0 infill to make the sample last (and it just barely did), sliced with astroprint, printed at 200 degrees (can be printed at different temperatures to change the colour of the wood). Feels very much like some sort of wood/paper. Very easily sanded, here I've just removed excess filament no major sanding and as you can see there are a few small artefacts. Lines are not that noticeable, and when they are they actually add to the wooden look!

sure how that is 'silver' though ?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not bad - do the elephants legs move ? that's the best test of a clean print :-)

Those woody filaments are quite good. just be aware that the ones with fairly large wood particles - like you have - are absolute bastards for clogging and blocking up printer nozzles.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    not bad - do the elephants legs move ? that's the best test of a clean print :-)

Those woody filaments are quite good. just be aware that the ones with fairly large wood particles - like you have - are absolute bastards for clogging and blocking up printer nozzles.
    They do move. By now my cats have broken the elephant though. But this is definitely a filament I can see myself buying a whole spool of. Have tried a few different (but didn't post since it was so silent in here)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123