Close

Can't Prep CAD File For Printing.

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a 3D model printed for some time now except for the fact that every printer returns a few errors, such as 'inverted faces.' and I simply can't figure out how to fix this issue and get it to the printers successfully. I am using Blender for mac (I am a CAD noob so go easy) and the tutorials I have seen say to select everything, and use the feature called "Backface Culling" yet that hasn't been of much help. If someone could take a look at the file for me or give me some advice on how to prep it for printing I would appreciate it. Thanks! (PS. The file uploaded will not load so I can't upload the .STL file for the time being, sorry.)

image.jpg

I do not know if anyone can diagnose this problem just from the image that the printers sent me. Since the uploader won't work for me, if anyone can take a look at this for me I can email it without a problem.
    Last edited by AnthonyKwet; 10-19-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Hello! So, the first thing I'm going to suggest is NetFabb. Try running your obj, stl, or whatever through that and see if it works after.

If that doesn't work, then I would be happy to look at the file myself, once you can get it uploaded!

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    Hello! So, the first thing I'm going to suggest is NetFabb. Try running your obj, stl, or whatever through that and see if it works after.

If that doesn't work, then I would be happy to look at the file myself, once you can get it uploaded!
    Thanks for the help! That worked like a charm, for several files not just that one either. Can't believe a 3D printing site quoted me for 200$ today on that and the website from Microsoft fixed it in 5 minutes for nothing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and the website from Microsoft fixed it in 5 minutes for nothing.
    Ah - you need to read the very small print - they now own your soul :-)