Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Design feedback: Littmann diaphragm cover

Hi!

I'm still eagerly waiting for my printer (mod-T) and have started messing around in Tinkered (gateway drug, it seems). Well anyway - I'm a doctor (MD) and constantly worrying about busting my stethoscope (again). These things don't come cheap (even though might get a hold of a replacement diaphragm) so I thought - Why not try and protect it?

I've started working on diaphragm covers that are to be popped over the diaphragm, protecting if from pens, name tags, and other sharp objects.
    I've made two different designs, one where the wall itself is curved to provide the snapping mechanism, the other with four bumps to provide the snapping
    They both feature holes in the bottom to allow draining, as they will need to be regularly disinfected.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/1Ms...ittmann-cover/

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Student
    Follow Frazveragan On Twitter Add Frazveragan on Facebook
    Looks to me like it'd do the trick! What are you planning on printing in?

Probably going to use colorfabb PLA with PHA, if it seems to be working well enough, I think I'll sand it a bit, acetone bath and add a black coat to it so that it matches my stethoscope.

It's either that or using new matters own PLA (comes with the printer)

Student
    Follow Frazveragan On Twitter Add Frazveragan on Facebook
    PLA is reliable, for sure. I don't know that it would really matter one way or the other or if your printer is compatible, but I was thinking Nylon might be a cool choice as well.

Don't think my printer is compatible - See this discussion http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ble-filaments/

Basically, it's rated compatible with PLA only, and it seems that flexible materials aren't really suitable because of how the filament is being fed, also it maxes out around 220 degrees celsius

PLA is not smoothable with acetone. Anyway if your print wuality is good enough a little smoothing with a file should be sufficient (though the colour may be altered somawhat)

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    PLA is not smoothable with acetone. Anyway if your print wuality is good enough a little smoothing with a file should be sufficient (though the colour may be altered somawhat)
    Yeah I know but the pla from colorfabb contains pha which makes it "acetoneable" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEnz8CWxyjc - yay!

But yeah, hopefully it'll be good enough for sanding or filing to suffice.

I haven't worked with pla before - is it going to be flexible enough for the snapping mechanism to work without snapping?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I had a psych patient grab my Littman off my neck, snap the fork in two, and try to stab me with it. I was a little pissed.

Ended up dislocating his jaw, but the paperwork said "slipped on ice".

I was more upset about the scope than the attempted murder. Wasn't the first, nor the last time, but that Littman had been with me for 12 years or so.

So um "slipped on ice"... Do you get a lot of ice in your hospital?

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    This seems a great idea! I'd also recommend having it printed with PLA! PLA is a reliable material for printing objects like this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast