Close

Student
    Add Lael Lee on Facebook

3D Designer Q&A with Lael Lee, prop maker, MyMiniFactory contributor, Destiny work

Hi there!
    My name is Lael lee, and I am a digital artist and prop maker from the midwestern United States. I operate a business called Indigenous Effects that specializes in the design and construction of props and costumes from movies, television shows, and video games. I am also a regular contributor to MyMiniFactory, and they have asked me to hold an informal AMA of sorts to answer any questions that people may have about 3d printing, design, my own projects, or anything else I can be of help with.

I will check in on this thread periodically anyways, but I plan to be online this Friday (October 16th) starting at 5pm UK time/ 1pm New York time (EDT) to answer questions for at least an hour as well.

If anyone would like to see my work, it can be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IndigenousEffects1. You can also find my contributions to MyMiniFactory including some of the more popular Destiny game pieces here: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/laellee

I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by Lael Lee; 10-16-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I think I've already printed the ball bot :-)

Banned
    Have you made props for any films I may have seen using 3D printing? Also, what are some of your future project?

Student
    Add Lael Lee on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox2013 View Post
    Have you made props for any films I may have seen using 3D printing? Also, what are some of your future project?
    Nothing to brag about I have only been working with 3d printing for the last few years, and didn't originally intend for this to be a career choice. I have done small-set and stage work, as well as props and display pieces for promotional groups who are paid by the studios to advertise, so there's that I suppose....

As for future projects, too many. I'm currently trying to refine the engineering on a 3d-printable animatronics system in kit-form that uses electromyography (I know, a $10 word) for control. Essentially, the system is an expandable component-based kit that would allow people to 3d print and custom-build anything from a robotic head with controllable facial features, to even an articulated prosthetic limb and sensory feedback, all controlled by muscle sensors on the user. Definitely a lot of troubleshooting, but companies like Advancer Technologies have allowed 'garage-engineers' like me to design and develop some amazing stuff at a level that was not possible even 5 years ago for someone not in the industry.