Close

Canon's Resin 3D Printer Concept

It’s very exciting to see Canon entering the 3D printing market with what they are touting to be a machine superior to what’s on the market today. A resin-based lamination system, the new Canon 3D printing system will be highlighted at the Canon EXPO in Paris this week. Along with offering rapid prototyping and rapid manufacturing, its main selling features are said to be its speed, reduction in post-processing, ability to use numerous materials, and the addition of their 3D Integrated Software. Read more at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/100457/canon-3d-printer-concept/

Any comments on how this may affect Canon's relationship to 3DS? As a distributor of 3D Systems machines, I wonder if they signed a do-not compete clause? If that is the case, would this be either a white label or a joint venture? I saw that the article says that it was developed "all in-house" but could that include co-development on a 3DS base?
    The video includes the image of a white wrench with a red dial that is clearly stamped with the 3DS company logo. Are they suggesting that the Canon machine made that part? Why would they choose a 3D Systems Branded file if 3D Systems didn't have anything to do with the machine?
    So is this machine a DLP SLA machine at heart? It creates sheets of resin at a time (suggestive of DLP) and then fixes the layers with high-precision "sheet welding". I am wondering how this actually works? The video makes it look like the DLP SLA process is in the back and then sheets are moved forward to a build tray that has the energy source and possibly the addition of powdered support materials (hence the water soluble part)?
    They also seem to be claiming full color. Is that an actual claim?
    Thank you for any wild speculation on these questions.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    I think this is more of a collaboration venture between Canon and 3DS. So there won't be a direct competition relating to this industry. Anyway i am looking forward to the release of this printer and see it myself if it can compete the current printers existing in the market.

Student
    Obviously this thing will be way out of my price range, and even if I had the cash, I would probably choose to do something else, and knowing Canon they will hold features back, so you need the new model when that comes out...if someone hack's the firmware it will probably be even better!