Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    a steel nozle would be alot more resistant to wear.
    The mymat carbonfibre reinforced nylon info states that a stainless steel nozzle is preferable. As brass is worn away quite quickly.

So yeah - you should be fine :-)

Staff Engineer
    So while waiting for some filament from ColorFabb to arrive, my wife found that the local hardware store stocked the Dremel branded PLA, and she got me a roll in black and one in white.

The Dremel black filament printed like a dream, we went through the entire 1lb roll (which she had been price comparing to 1kg rolls, whoops) very quickly, but had only two real failures. The Dremel Cotton White on the other hand is a hot mess. We're about halfway down the spool with only one successful print, and that one looks pretty awful. It curls badly as it cools, causing it to catch on the nozzle with each pass until it just tips the plate off the splines. Granted, curling and splitting is a phenomenon I've seen in every printer, and with as badly as the Dremel 'Cotton White' is doing it I'd imagine the stuff would be a mess on any printer.

So far, the New Matter Pink printed better than either of the Dremel colors... But it's just so pink.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    So while waiting for some filament from ColorFabb to arrive, my wife found that the local hardware store stocked the Dremel branded PLA, and she got me a roll in black and one in white.

The Dremel black filament printed like a dream, we went through the entire 1lb roll (which she had been price comparing to 1kg rolls, whoops) very quickly, but had only two real failures. The Dremel Cotton White on the other hand is a hot mess. We're about halfway down the spool with only one successful print, and that one looks pretty awful. It curls badly as it cools, causing it to catch on the nozzle with each pass until it just tips the plate off the splines. Granted, curling and splitting is a phenomenon I've seen in every printer, and with as badly as the Dremel 'Cotton White' is doing it I'd imagine the stuff would be a mess on any printer.

So far, the New Matter Pink printed better than either of the Dremel colors... But it's just so pink.
    Black and white (more so) tend to be the most difficult colors to print well in PLA. I've been told that is the case due to their pigment loads to achieve the color. The gold/yellow, blue, and uncolored (natural) tend to print the best on the MOD-t in my opinion. Pink does too but I got tired of it before I was done with the 1/2 kilo spool.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    black tend to be a little tricky as the colourant is usually carbon black. So it absorbs heat quicker. try printing at lower temp.

Only issue I've ever had with printing white pla is that the cheap stuff (and esun lol) tend to break.
    decent white pla is usually fine.

All my print are made via the web browser, so all default setting.
    Im a Canadian, from Montreal, so i used Amazone.ca for my link.
    Iv tried:
    New Mater: Pink, prints fine as expected
    Hatchbox: Black, prints nicly, bit too hot on the default setting on the webslicer
    http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J0ECR5I/r...528420_TE_dp_1
    Hatchbox: Orange, Prints amazingly, the package was not entirely scealed so a bit moised, but now evrything is ok! (i recommend this one)
    http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J0EE1D4/r...528420_TE_dp_1
    Hatchbox: Silver, My next print
    http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MEZEEJ2/r...528420_TE_dp_2
    BootsIndusty: Clear, my next print (the only affortable clear pla, in canada.. well will see, they also have great deals.. when colors are avilable)
    http://bootsindustries.com/shop/supe...le-spool-1-kg/

I just got some LayBrick filament but can't get it to feed, it grabs the filament and drags it down but nothing out of the nozzle, shouldn't be a temperature issue, seeing as one can print lay brick at lower tempts than the new matter standard PLA 200 c.
    Has anyone else encountered this? Any solution? (will contact new matter support live chat when available)

Edit:
    So trying to get the filament out it broke off... So going to follow these instructions http://support.newmatter.com/custome...nload-filament
    and then try to see if this http://support.newmatter.com/custome...g-installation can help load the filament...
    Last edited by hsus; 12-14-2015 at 05:24 AM.

For those in Italy like me: I've got this natural PLA filament LINK and I was amazed about the quality of the prints. I don't know if that's because the natural PLA is better than coloured filaments but the prints are so good! The flat parts of the objects are very flat at touch and layers are visible but unnoticeable at touch, at least with objects I've print.
    Here a picture of a plug I've print to test the precision of dimension because I've got a hole to fill and that was a test of insertion. It was perfect.
    WP_20151229_008 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NewMatter View Post
    Our filament would be considered pure PLA in that there is not any other plastics mixed in and for any post processing it could be considered pure PLA.

However there are additives that are used to get the different colors and to make it easier to manufacture as filament. The Midnight Black and the Polar White in particular have fairly high ‘filler’ to get the more opaque color. The Matural color has the least additives.

We can't wait to see how you post process yours!
    You know, looking back, I think I've narrowed down my print quality issues with one post.

Using the initial 0.5kg of pink filament the printer came with, the only issue I had with the printer were wifi connectivity related. I changed filament, and now I'm getting z banding issues and adhesion issues on top of the wifi connectivity issues. Guess which colors I've been trying!

Quote Originally Posted by hsus View Post
    I just got some LayBrick filament but can't get it to feed, it grabs the filament and drags it down but nothing out of the nozzle, shouldn't be a temperature issue, seeing as one can print lay brick at lower tempts than the new matter standard PLA 200 c.
    Has anyone else encountered this? Any solution? (will contact new matter support live chat when available)
    Update on this; Seems to be some sort of issue with feeding filament, not specific to LayBrick, or any other filament. In fact I'm printing with LayBrick right now, will report back with results. I've just printed successfully with LayWoo-D3, posted about it in the showcase prints thread.

Tried Semiflex (in black) from Ninjaflex. Couldn't even get it to extrude from the nozzle during the load process... The mod-T is capped at 220 c which is a bit below the recommended temperature for semiflex, but within the temp range, dunno how hot it gets during loading so don't know if that's the issue here or something else. Has anyone else had success with semiflex or any other flexible material? As per a suggestion from Curious Aardvark I'll probably get some polyflex next

Also tried RepRapper Tech Purple to Pink thermochanging PLA. I've made loads of little mood rings, prints very well, used same settings as with the new matter PLA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast