Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: simplify3d

Technician

simplify3d

is simplify 3d worth the £100 cost, i mean what can it do that other free software cant.

im asking because i have been looking at buying this software, but at present cant justify the cost.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    It is much better at presenting the setting and the range of those settings. It has a vast library of printers with basic profiles pre configured. It has the ability to save out profiles or Factory files. A factory file saves the STL and all settings so if you need to print it again and don't have the STL it will still have everything it needs. There are many more features to list, is it better than other free ones? Hmm, not sure, they all "work" to some degree.

It's faster, easier to use, has more features, and allows you to print better quality items. I was hesitant, too, but had heard so many good things about it that I decided to give it a try. I've had it for about 6 months now and would hate to have to another program.

Engineer
    me too. i have been using it 3 years now. i would never use anything else.

I'm am going to have to chime in and say yes, it's worth it for all the reasons above. I went back to try Slic3r after S3D and it was a nightmare to use. Cura seemed to be lacking a lot of features as well.

Believe, me I hated shelling out $150, but considering what I have been able to do with it, so easily...it's worth it. It just makes the whole 3D printing process so much more enjoyable, especially pulling off the bed what was on the screen

A few examples.

How much time do you lose to re-slice an item in your current slicer because 1 parameter was incorrect ? S3D does it in less than 5 seconds, everytime, whatever the model.

How much time do you lose to re-orient models in another software (Meshmixer or whatever) ? S3D does it with 1 command : put this surface on the bed.

How much time do you lose removing support ? The Support in S3D is really well made and easily removed.

How much of a hassle is dual colour printing ? Have a look at the tutos on the website.

It probably does not do much more than other softs, but it does it really well. For me, just the time saving is sufficient to justify it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's the only software I've bought in the last 20 years.
    And yes it is worth it. was only £70 something when I bought it.

Been using just over a year. I held out till I could see it in action. Did that at tct 2014 - poppy from the 3dp unlimited guys gave me a comprehensive run through. Bought it the next day.

Winged continuously about the crapy infill for about 9 months. They fixed that with version 3.0
    And My only current complaint is how shite the dual extrusion still is.
    It's supposed to print a wiped barrier round the print. But only seems to start that on the second layer. Now on a 3 layer print. because the unused head isn't being wiped the first layer gets printed with a semi-mirror image by the second head.

So I'm going to have to go back to makerware.

Pretty sure it'll get fixed in a future release.
    But even with that - it's definitely worth the money. :-)

The wipe thing is a biggie since I do a ton of dual extrusion printing. I like the quick slicing although that isn't an issue yet as I do my program way in advance.

Engineer
    I purchased S3D last Christmas, and I have not touched another slicer since then. It has saved me so much time and money the past year, it was well worth the price tag.

Engineer-in-Training
    It's worth it... I especially love the ability to print a single or multiple parts with totally different settings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast