Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got mine today - First Impressions

(Originally posted in New Matter Updates)

Originally Posted by JCrump in New Matter Updates

1:00 PM: Mine was delivered by DHL about an hour ago. It's going to be a long afternoon before I can get home and unbox.

9:00 PM: And now is about 8 hrs later. After a delicious dinner, I set about unboxing. It was really packaged beautifully and was very easy to setup.

During first connection, my pc (Win 10) didn't see the MOD-t, so I used the FAQ (http://support.newmatter.com/custome...e-installation) and got it going.

Things were smooth for a while, but during calibration, the build table moved very noisily through the x-axis for several minutes. Sounded like it was crushing rocks. I was about to unplug to save it from eating itself when it settled in.

I had it start the test print of the NM logo. It wiped off the nozzle on the right side, but some extruded filament strung into the print. I picked out what was loose and let it keep going. At 27%, the print broke loose from the print bed. I moved the piece out of the way so the nozzle kept extruding into space because the head had moved up about 2 mm (the thickness of the print). I pressed the front panel button and it stopped extruding and the head raised up.

There is a rough spot on the bottom of the print, probably where the original extraneous filament was laying on the print bed when it started printing. I think that is why it broke loose.

As I write this, the nozzle is staying hot (202C) and the fan is running full out. I finally tried to resume, but the nozzle was still 2 mm up in the air. I finally had to unplug power to get it to stop trying to resume. It is now quiet.

I think I'll call it night and work on it again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrump View Post
    (Originally posted in New Matter Updates)

Originally Posted by JCrump in New Matter Updates

1:00 PM: Mine was delivered by DHL about an hour ago. It's going to be a long afternoon before I can get home and unbox.

9:00 PM: And now is about 8 hrs later. After a delicious dinner, I set about unboxing. It was really packaged beautifully and was very easy to setup.

During first connection, my pc (Win 10) didn't see the MOD-t, so I used the FAQ (http://support.newmatter.com/custome...e-installation) and got it going.

Things were smooth for a while, but during calibration, the build table moved very noisily through the x-axis for several minutes. Sounded like it was crushing rocks. I was about to unplug to save it from eating itself when it settled in.

I had it start the test print of the NM logo. It wiped off the nozzle on the right side, but some extruded filament strung into the print. I picked out what was loose and let it keep going. At 27%, the print broke loose from the print bed. I moved the piece out of the way so the nozzle kept extruding into space because the head had moved up about 2 mm (the thickness of the print). I pressed the front panel button and it stopped extruding and the head raised up.

There is a rough spot on the bottom of the print, probably where the original extraneous filament was laying on the print bed when it started printing. I think that is why it broke loose.

As I write this, the nozzle is staying hot (202C) and the fan is running full out. I finally tried to resume, but the nozzle was still 2 mm up in the air. I finally had to unplug power to get it to stop trying to resume. It is now quiet.

I think I'll call it night and work on it again tomorrow.

i just got mine. went through the setup process with out a hitch. as soon as i started the test print also noticed the head is sitting too high above the build plate.. therefore it refuses to print anything properly. sounds like the same issue as you.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdsu42 View Post
    i just got mine. went through the setup process with out a hitch. as soon as i started the test print also noticed the head is sitting too high above the build plate.. therefore it refuses to print anything properly. sounds like the same issue as you.
    Actually, the head was above the print bed only because I had remove the partial print and then tried to resume. Kind of stupid on my part.

Second impression:
    Second test print worked like a charm. New Matter replied saying that if I leave the clear enclosure off (which I had done) the space can be too cool and cause problems with the print not adhering to the bed. So from now on I keep the lid on.

They also said that the louder than expected calibration routine was probably due to the bed being slightly crooked on the rods. Got the second print I got it on straight and it was much quieter.

At the beginning of the second print when it "wipes its nose" on the side of the bed, it still strung a very fine line of filament to the print area and it stick under the print. Is this normal?

Actually, the head was above the print bed only because I had remove the partial print and then tried to resume. Kind of stupid on my part.
    I had 4 failed test prints before mine started behaving. Now I have 2 100% successful prints.. And I'm notlw printing an stl file that I uploaded..

So far so good... But there are an awful lot of supports...
    Gonna be a pain to remove...
    http://imgur.com/a/Hcn1q

Also my print bed is starting to warp a bit.. Made the extruder head get stuck and now I have some permanently indented marks on the build plate from the head

Damn that is a beautiful looking machine. Way better than the M3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Damn that is a beautiful looking machine. Way better than the M3D.
    they are beautiful for a 3d printer

NewMatter Representative
    At the beginning of the second print when it "wipes its nose" on the side of the bed, it still strung a very fine line of filament to the print area and it stick under the print. Is this normal?
    This is normal - for now. As we fine tune the process, this thin line from the side of the plate to the print area will be eliminated.

So taking a peek at the printer and Myself and "Jetguy" have to give the NewMatter team a thumbs up on their design work and attention to detail. The parts are pretty high quality and that cooling fan is super duper. Question on the "Filament out sensor", is that used yet by the firmware? I did a test and cut the filament during a print and it didn't really do anything but the print finished with about 4 inches of filament left so I don't know if it waits a little more or if the sensor isn't used during the printing process (The sensor where the filament is loaded at the base of the unit). Also give a thumbs up to the consumer protection on the extruder heater (thermal runaway / cutoff sensor). This has become an increasing debate on 3d printers. Can't wait to see what improvements come in the firmware and the ability to have more control over the slicing process (or local slicing).

I am very impressed so far as well.
    New Matter responded very promptly to a comment I left on Indiegogo about software features...
    "Hi Kraig! We're working as fast as we can to get a number of features implemented, one of them being an on/off supports feature. Thanks so much for your patience!"

Once we can configure support material, and maybe temperature, it will be awesome.
    There are a few things to improve in the web slicer interface. The scaling and rotation I am not too clear on. I can only seem to do adjustments in large angles. SO uploading my own files might not be 100% predictable yet.

I actually like the calibration method, but I am a little concerned about the "wipe" the nozzle does. I am having a hard time completely removing that thin scraping of filament, and it performs that function in the same place each time, so I'm afraid after a while it might interfere somehow.

But the printer is really beautiful. I got the white one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast