Close

Thread: Print Quality

Engineer

Print Quality

I have installed the Aluminum bed, made myself a custom Alum Plate X gantry for the hotend. and installed PID heating on the print surface
    im printing with PETG using a E3D v6 .4, using .20 layers.. so far im very pleased with the quality of my prints.
    I love PETG its been the best plastic so far.. better then PLA and ABS.
    I still need to play with the retract settings as i do get the occasional corner blob

any recommendations on how to improve even more would be appreciated

BTW near the top you can see a banding effect.. there is a solid layer every 20 layers for structure
    20151005_205533.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    Does the band height correspond to a certain number of Z rod rotations?

Engineer
    layer height is set by layer setting in slicer. Z rod rotations is controlled in firmware by a set number of steps for the stepper/rod used

The Banding was preset every 40 layers to do a stronger layer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Every 20 or every 40? And is the band on those layers? If so then something with the solid layer is causing it.

Knowing black PETG, and knowing that lower temps reduce the gloss, I'd say that the solid layers are extruding much more and the nozzle is not keeping the temp up, thus causing less gloss. So you could try to increase temps overall, or check to make sure the nozzle stays at temp on those layers, or slow down speed which allows the nozzle to keep the temp up, or of course stop using solid layers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Every 20 or every 40? And is the band on those layers? If so then something with the solid layer is causing it.

Knowing black PETG, and knowing that lower temps reduce the gloss, I'd say that the solid layers are extruding much more and the nozzle is not keeping the temp up, thus causing less gloss. So you could try to increase temps overall, or check to make sure the nozzle stays at temp on those layers, or slow down speed which allows the nozzle to keep the temp up, or of course stop using solid layers.
    Go back and re-read the original post. He is not asking for help with the banding, he is showing off the banding.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by misquamacus View Post
    Go back and re-read the original post. He is not asking for help with the banding, he is showing off the banding.
    Well im not concerned about the banding. I just figured someone would mention it. but its no big deal to me. I dont always use Solid layers but they are helpful.