Close

Ogres for a tabletop game

Usually I design small miniatures, really small miniatures like the green men in the front of the first image.
    So I found it a challenge to do something larger, like those Ogres. They are about 54 mm instead of the usual 6 to 7mm.
    The models are mounted on acrylic glass for gaming purposes. I haven't glued them on yet, but used a kind of blue tac. So when you notice some grey blobs at the feet, just ignore them.

The models are printed on a B9Creator at 50xy, 25z. I used two different resins B9-Black and SpotA-HT. The latter one with some additional pigment. Once primed, you can't see the difference between the two. I startet out with 30xy, 30z, but one single model per print run, was just not enough. I tried 50xy/25z which allows 3 models per print run. There is a slight difference in quality, but once painted, it is really difficult to spot. To print a set of three miniatures takes between 5 and 6 hours, depending on miniature's pose and resin.
    A mix of models in B9-Black.

If you think all Ogres look alike, don't feel bad. They really do. There are only 4 different poses and 4 different faces for the privates. Some pieces of armor have been thrown in for the illusion of variety.
    The officers have unique faces so.

I find the design of large models quite different from designing small ones. I'm not sure that I should find that surprising.
    As always as soon as I see them painted, I can see some design deficiencies, I didn't spot before.
    The knobby knees on the first set of kneeling warriors, lack of detail on epaulettes and the sleeves. I should have worked more with folds and creases. At least one of the faces it too ... whatever.
    Those have to be booked as missed opportunities, because I need the miniatures for a tournament and I do not have the time to redo them. But as Arnie said "I'll be back".

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    good grief that's some detailed design work.

Now for those of us who don't own a b9creator - can you explain what all those x&z numbers mean ?

Initially I thought they were micron equivalencies, but that wouldn't account for being able to print more models at different numbers.
    Is it an adjustable print area ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    good grief that's some detailed design work.

Now for those of us who don't own a b9creator - can you explain what all those x&z numbers mean ?

Initially I thought they were micron equivalencies, but that wouldn't account for being able to print more models at different numbers.
    Is it an adjustable print area ?
    The values are resolutions in micron.

The B9Creator is a DLP printer. You can choose different resolutions for xy and z.
    The z resolution can be set in 5 micron steps and is independent of the xy resolution.
    The xy resolution is set by changing the distance between projector and image area. Choices are 30, 50 or 70 micron.

Because the projector has a set number of pixels, the build area will grow with pixel size.
    The B9Creator uses a HD projector, so build space is 5,76 cm x 3,24 cm at 30micron resolution and 9,6 cm x 5,4 cm at 50 micron.
    The build height is of unaffected by resolution. This allows you to trade resolution for build space.

succinctly explained - thankyou :-)

Sorry didn't work out.
    Last edited by Brumbaer; 10-13-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Pictures not visible

Some Crossbowmen, dressed like the 95th.
    The shiny ones are still fresh. When dry they will look like the others.

Fresh from the printer. The supports will break off easily, but will leave small blemishes when broken and not cut. Luckily, due to their purpose, most are where the sun doesn't shine.

Some detail. keep in mind that these are macro shots. The miniatures are most likely less than half the size of the image (depending on screen-dpi of course). Some things I don't realize until I see them on a macro - but than it's usually too late

seriously - I suspect you're the only person who can see any flaws :-)

So how much do you sell them for ?

I don't sell, I do not have the resources for that. Turning it into a business will replace the fun of it with tediousness of book keeping, inventory etc., anyway.

I'm happy with designing and printing models I want or "need" and hopefully inspiring others to do the same - and showing off every now and than
    Last edited by Brumbaer; 10-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.

The army grows there's a mammoth:

The one on the right, was the prototype. There were some things that annoyed me, like th "rocket rack", the eyes being to the front, the "hair top" to be so very regular etc..

The fur looks a bit flat in the image, it's not as flat in real.

The army grows there's a mammoth:

There are Goblin bowmen, they are basically Night Goblins with Shakos.
    The Goblins have a special weapon. Originally something like a wagon filled with explosives, but I wanted to have something more to the theme of the army and a bit more absurd, so I let them carry a sea mine instead

Talking about Goblins, there is also a unit of light cavalry. Hussars are the napoleonic light cavalry, so the Goblins would be dressed accordingly. And to keep the British style they are not mounted on the usual wolves, but giant pugs.

Last not least a special character has been added recognizable by the axe.

Have a nice weekend