Close

Thread: Layer Shift

Engineer-in-Training

Layer Shift

Recently I decided to print 3 objects at once instead of 1 at a time. This resulted in the print time reaching 10 hours, which is the longest I have ever printed on the Prusa.

However, as you can see in the attachment on a layer the print was shifted and completed the print shifted. I have checked Simplify 3D and there is no layer shift and I have printed at this height many times, I have printed this part probably 10-15 times, but just one at a time.

Can anyone give me an idea of what may have caused this? Could it be the stepper drivers over heating? That is my only thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    My guess would be that your Y bed is warping during your print and the bed rollers are hitting the support on the back of the printer.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Recently I decided to print 3 objects at once instead of 1 at a time. This resulted in the print time reaching 10 hours, which is the longest I have ever printed on the Prusa.

However, as you can see in the attachment on a layer the print was shifted and completed the print shifted. I have checked Simplify 3D and there is no layer shift and I have printed at this height many times, I have printed this part probably 10-15 times, but just one at a time.

Can anyone give me an idea of what may have caused this? Could it be the stepper drivers over heating? That is my only thought.

Engineer-in-Training
    I do have an aluminum Y bed so I don't believe it is warping.

I also recently installed PID auto tune for the bed.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I do have an aluminum Y bed so I don't believe it is warping.

I also recently installed PID auto tune for the bed.
    Hmm not sure then, the only time I had an issue like that was due to the wooden bed warping as I mentioned. You may double check your clearances on your rollers though just to make sure also make sure there was nothing else that could have gotten bound up and caused the Y belt to slip. Maybe also check your belt tension.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi! There are many factors as to why your layers are shifting. Consider inspecting these checklist to find out the problem:Misaligned belts - you can check this video to fix your belts.Improperly calibrated trimpot - It can be that your current set is too high or low.Bad rod - if this happens you need to replace your rail.
    Stepper Drivers - Check the current settings of your stepper driver if it's too low/high, it has missing steps or going into thermal protection.

Engineer-in-Training
    Also the endstop could have triggered at the wrong place.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Hey BLKKROW, I've had this happen to me before. Check the set screws on your x axis GT pulleys (the toothed belt gears). When the length of time the print is going increases, things start heating up and getting loose. I also seen the heat transfer from stepper motor to belt, heating them up slightly and making them loosen and skip a bunch of teeth causing the permanent shift.

Anyway, something to check! Tighten those belts and check the set screws.