Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D design Q&A with Kirby Downey

My Name is Kirby Downey and I am one of the designers who contribute a lot of gaming props to the collection at MyMinifactory.com. They have asked me to come here and hold an Q&A. What I will be doing is personally answering any questions you have about 3D modelling for 3D printing or anything else.

A little back ground on me. I studied product design in South Africa, I always had a knack for mechanics and moving parts. Being a big gamer I thought I would put them all together to create some awesome stuff and allow the community to have access of them.

So ask me anything and I will do my best to help you out!

For those who want to follow me my Twitter and Instagram is @kjdesigns365. I do also post videos my channel is Kirby Downey.

If you want to check out my work here is my MyMiniFactory page
    https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Kirby%20Downey

In your opinion what was the coolest thing you ever designed to have 3D printed?

What drew you to Myminifactory and how did you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyYan View Post
    In your opinion what was the coolest thing you ever designed to have 3D printed?

What drew you to Myminifactory and how did you find them?
    The Swords i just released. this allowed me to use two design softwares and have hard modeled edges from Solidworks and soft organic shapes with Zbrush.

I was looking for a company to 3D print a model for me and found them that way then saw you can submit designs and build a portfolio. This was appealing to me a a made more and more models and they loved my work. now they helping me by pushing my name as a designer in their newsletters and getting articles and now to do things like this.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    guess that answers my question as well : what modelling software do you use :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    guess that answers my question as well : what modelling software do you use :-)
    i use Solid works mainly, a bot of Zbrush and meshmixer. i wanna branch out into rhino

Banned
    Do you have a link to the swords?

Do you do this as a career? If not what do you do to earn a living?

What do you think of MyMiniFactory's recent fundraising efforts?

if you follow the link in the original post they are on that page. I do this full time now. i do alot of commision based work now from the exposure given by myminifactory. I thinks its an interesting way to go about it, allowing anyone to invest. I myself invested as i can see the potential and growth in it.

A fellow Saffa... howzit boet. Heard of you via Barncules. Saw some of your other work. Pretty good.

Do you design for a living? What industry?

Quote Originally Posted by kjdowney View Post
    i use Solid works mainly, a bot of Zbrush and meshmixer. i wanna branch out into rhino
    Rhino's ok. I do more mechanical design and its not really ideal for that. Awesome for product design though. Pity its not parametric. Have you considered Moi3D?

Follow joealarson On Twitter Add joealarson on Facebook Add joealarson on Google+ Add joealarson on Shapeways Add joealarson on Thingiverse
    How many requests a month do you get to use some new repository and why aren't you using t them? What do you look for in a sharing site and why myminifactory?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast