Close

3d Printer Enclosure for ABS etc... cheaper than most

So I have been looking around for enclosures etc for my taz 5. The ones i found only had a lot of screws and printed parts, and heavy gauge acrylic and cost upwards of 3-$400 to do it the right way.
    I came up with my own idea.

I bought a storage rack (24" deep is the key) at home depot. ONe larger piece of .2" acrylic and 2 small pieces of .93". Used dollar store foam board for the back. Thew it all together in a few hours and voila.

Less than $200 all in, and it works like a charm.

https://youtu.be/JZ04kAm6wk4

Edit : also posted this on the taz boards, but this gets more traffic, so in case someone wants to duplicate it... super easy.

Nice work - looks cool. If I had the space for a rack I would look at doing that as well.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    $200?

I spent around $15.
    http://www.joann.com/blizzard-fleece...&sz=54&start=1
    (Even cheaper now, 50% off sale)

Buy a yard or two. Simply drape over the top. Done. The Taz has a frame already. And when not needed, it folds neatly on a shelf And you can use it as a couch blanket for the kids when not 3D printing. And, folded and rolled, it makes a nice lumbar support for my computer chair while doing the modeling to print.

You can see it hanging over the back in this:

I did something similar. Used the foam sheet packing the printer came in to make a hood, printed handles plugs for the sides and cover the front with a sheet of clear plastic. ABS prints work 100%. Not much to look at though...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    $200?

I spent around $15.
    http://www.joann.com/blizzard-fleece...&sz=54&start=1
    (Even cheaper now, 50% off sale)

Buy a yard or two. Simply drape over the top. Done. The Taz has a frame already. And when not needed, it folds neatly on a shelf And you can use it as a couch blanket for the kids when not 3D printing. And, folded and rolled, it makes a nice lumbar support for my computer chair while doing the modeling to print.

You can see it hanging over the back in this:

There is nothing wrong with this approach, but I prefer to make my space look nice and snazzy. I like the clear pled, the door, the filament on the top shelf, etch etc. just a personal preference. People are spending a lot of money on similar all pled enclosures. I cut that in half for mine, which I like better.
    Blanket is fine too

Technician
    I think its.important that you guys keep in mind the nature of a high temperature element and the proximity of the materials that you are using.

Don't want to preach but its something that's very important to me.

Thanks,
    Mo

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    best one I saw for the ff creator - he just just laminating pouches and magnets. I have lots of both :-)
    The klik-n-print just needs a hood and the front covered and some tape over the handle holes. Sides and back are already enclosed.

Thinking about it :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by LAFilament.com View Post
    I think its.important that you guys keep in mind the nature of a high temperature element and the proximity of the materials that you are using.

Don't want to preach but its something that's very important to me.

Thanks,
    Mo
    The high temps are not at or even near any of these enclosures. Closest would be the 110c heated bed. Thats only a touch over boiling water. Worst case, get a can of spray on fire retardant for the fleece.

Mine has been in place for over a year. Warmest its ever gotten was a mild warm. The sort of warm that would feel good in a heated blanket on a cold evening.

Oh, and the fleece is a damn good insulator so the chamber maintains a very steady temperature throughout the build process.