Close

Advice on 3d printer

Hello everyone, I have recently become very interested in 3d printing as I believe it will change the world as we know it. In fact it has already started to. Anyone who hasn't should research 3d printing in the bio medical field.

I've been researching affordable open source 3d printer kits because I would like to actually build it myself so I can understand it instead of just own it and know how to use it. (Also saves a ton of money and qualifies as a good time).

I've noticed alot of reprap and makerbot DIY or paritally assembled kits popping up on ebay but I have no way of knowing if they are knock offs because they are mainly coming from china and india.

I know I want an open source 3d printer. I'm just having trouble choosing which one.

I found this pre-made one for around a thousand that features a dual extruder, and also prints ABS and PLA. They claim in the ad that it is comparable to reprap and possibly better quality.

I'm wondering if I could buy this, replace the micro controller with an arduino and use opensource software.

If I'm allowed I can post the link. Its a very detailed ad. They claim expert customer support and parts replacement, it appears to be legitimate and of good quality. Just checking for permission to post links. If this is nonsense, I'd appreciate any suggestions for DIY kits. I'm ready to order.

Thanks in advance.

Just found a velleman k8200 at a good price. Anyone know what type of microcontroller it uses? Or if it even comes with one. I can't find anything about it in deatils/parts lists on any sites.

Technologist
    Looks like a Sanguinololo board. The printer looks well built. One criticism is that, because the bed moves in the x and y direction, the printer has quite a large footprint. This is the first time I've seen one that runs this way.

If you learn by doing, then building one based on a RepRap design is a good way to go. Try to steer clear of the ready assembled ones. They are mostly very good, but you will not satisfy your curiosity.

My experience has been with the MakerFarm Prusa i3 8". (Makerfarm makes the kit. Prusa is the guy who designed a 3D printer in this format. i3 means that it is the third iteration of the design, and 8" means that the print bed is 8 x 8 x 8.

The kit comes with everything except a power supply, a piece of glass to cover the heated bed, and filament (3mm), so you won't be wasting time on hunting expeditions to get the parts you need.

Assembling the kit will give you great insight into how these printers function. Also, users have come up with some useful add-on parts that you can print, as well as some mods that improve the ease of use.

By all means, don't take my word as the last word. Explore all types of printers that come in kit form, but as I said, put ready made ones low on your list of preferences.

Old man Emu

Quote Originally Posted by eliza925994 View Post
    Ultimaker 2 is one of the best 3D printer.
    Ultimaker 2 is a good printer. I'd probably recommend one of Makerbot's new printers though, like the Mini or Replicator.

Own an Ultimaker 1 and really can recommend it.
    Only electronics come assembled but it's completely open source so you can check out the schematics and firmware code.
    Easy to build and very hackable - in the good way.

What exactly is the K8200? I have never heard of it myself. I really believe that its best to purchase a 3D printer from a known brand. i.e. Makerbot or 3D Systems (cubify). This is because you know they will always be around (at least for the foreseeable future). Other smaller companies may go belly up, especially with so many new ones popping up. I personally like to have a printer from a company that will help you out years down the line when your printer breaks.