Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World's First Camera Computer

Orbbec, a China-based manufacturer of 3D camera technology, is releasing its newest offerings today: the Astra Pro, a more advanced version of their Astra structured light 3D camera, and the Persee, a camera-computer hybrid that is the first of its kind. Orbbec is touting the new devices as state-of-the art technology for application development. Find out more about the new tech and what it offers for developers at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/98087/orbbec-new-3d-cameras/

Hello! Will this new product be able to intergrate with my xyz aio printer? And is the softeware compatiblw with my printer? If so! I would be very very ijnterested in this product.
    Thanks
    Steve Raymond
    compasslock systems@gmail.com

a camera with a fully functioning computer for the purpose of building 3D applications. Persee is an Astra Pro with the addition of a powerful ARM computer, and includes a quad-core 1.8GHz CPU, 600MHz GPU with OpenCL support, Wi-Fi and high-speed Ethernet, 2GB DDR3 RAM, and an embedded 16GB eMMC Flash.
    So basically a cell phone that can't make calls, send messages, play games, open documents...

*yawn*

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Astra Pro will be offered at an introductory price of $99, and Persee at $179.
    damn sight cheaper than a phone - and as you say: can't receive calls or texts - in my book those are plus points :-)

But I'll still wait for a tablet with intel realsense and scanning apps built in.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    damn sight cheaper than a phone - and as you say: can't receive calls or texts - in my book those are plus points :-) .
    Lol.......

Well! mu original question was not answered, instead I got a sales pitch/ Iasked if the will be compatable with the xyz aio 3d printer, and will the software be to be used with the same printer. If both of the varables are yes, I would be interested in this item.
    Thanks
    PS: Looking for a answere

Engineer
    It does attract people like me who utterly hate mainstream. However, I am not going to spend 100$ on a basically webcam that does 720P just because it has some fancy arms processor and some Ram on it. Heck logitech camera with 720P cost around 30$ and I can buy 3 for the price of 90$.

As I seem to be the only one who read what the Persee/Astra Pro is all about, I 'm of a different opinion.
    IMHO as "news", it beats yet another FDM printer/filament announcement hands down.

The Astra Pro is a 3D camera not a webcam. If you bought 6 Logitech Webcams and a PC, you would still be hard pressed to do what this camera offers. Not to mention the small footprint.
    And it's not just a smart phone without cellular.

The Astra Pro consists of an IR projector, an IR "camera" and an RGB camera. To give you a color image plus depth information. If you find a use for that is up to you and your creativity.

While I'm not "excited" about the product due to lack of current project needing this, it's good to know that something like this will be available (and affordable) for hobbyists, if the need arises.
    Thinking about it, I can already see two projects using this, probably I should get exited about this.

@bandit1942
    I do not know what you want to use it for, but it will not magically "integrate" with your printer.
    What do you hope that it does for you ? Create models, control your printer, overview it's operation, create a points- cloud ?
    Whatever it is, somebody will have to write software to do so. Probably somebody will, probably not. Only time will tell.

Hi!
    Thanks for the honest reply. What I was ghoping was that the item would some how be able to intergrate with the XYZ 3D printer. The XYZ printer as you must know has a scanner built in to it. The scanner might be good how ever the scanner software it pure garbage and is only good for scanning about 10% of objects. While the printer is good and a sound printer. I am basicly looking for a 3rd party software that I can use with the printer to do some good scanns. I know that a lot of people are turning to Reperier software and are flashing there boards. Yhis is something that I do not know how do do. If there was software on a cd that you could load into your printer or cpu that would be a real plus.Any way ! thanks for your feed back, much appreciated.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the camera and software will output files in stl format - so yes it will work with an xyz aio.

Directly integrate with the on board firmware and substitute for the existing scanner and software - no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast