Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

So I'm flipping through the channels last night and spot a 3d printer being sold

Yep ideal world had an hour flogging the cel robox 3d printer.
    First time I've ever seen a 3d printer being hard sold on the telly.
    http://www.idealworld.tv/355623?icn=...i=Sitewide_Top

And by the end of the 20 minutes I watched (they tend to repeat after 20 minutes), they'd sold 55% of their stock. Obviously they don't tell you how many units that was. Th
    They were selling it at £900 - 4x 225 installments.
    Seemed like a reasonable price for a fairly sophisticated looking machine.

But I have to say I was impressed. The robox looks like an actual easy to use plug'n'play machine. Got some very nice features, I guess my only negative comments would be the build volume and lack of a comtrol panel and sd card slot, ie: you can't run it without a computer.

Build volume was never mentioned - but I looked it up: 210x150x100mm

They couldn't have made the case 5 cm taller to get a standard 150mm build height ?

So the big consumer sell has started. Expect to see lots of these elongated advert shows in the months before christmas.

But hey - nice job cel - english firm as well :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-30-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Senior Engineer
    Hmm, £200 more than I paid for two 768 Stratasi and £800 more than I paid for my Wanhao.

Not a bargain to a tight northerner like me.

lol these are new and don't need rebuilding to work.
    Nice looking units.
    Got a 0.3 nozzle for outer shells and an 0.8mm for fast infill and presumably fast and dirty prints.

Like I said, a nice machine and aimed at 'normal' people - not mutant's like us's ;-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-30-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    The Robox has some nice features on it, including a needle valve to prevent stringing. The other thing is it has a good design team behind it that are forward thinking. Next to come with it will be interchangeable tool heads.

and hopefully a larger build volume

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    and hopefully a larger build volume
    A larger build volume would be good but then again they are going for detail as well with the 20um Y res and the 0.3mm nozzle etc. So smaller beautifully formed models is ok. You generally can't get everything. swings & roundabouts etc..

Engineer-in-Training
    Never believe the sales numbers they put on infomercials, these numbers are fictional and just used as a tactic to make the item seem desirable.

Senior Engineer
    Be interesting to see how many weeks it takes for them to start appearing on ebay as "not working" or "too complicated" or even "never taken out of the box".

I think those TV channels are for compulsive obsessive types.