Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Raft bond too strong

When printing with rafts I'm having trouble separating the piece.

The raft tears pieces out of the print of or leaves parts of itself permanently attached as though it is a part of the print.

Are there any settings to reduce the strength of the bond? I'm using Makerware and CTC 3D and PLA.

Senior Engineer
    Some slicers allow you to specify the raft to model distance. I have no idea if Makerware does as I have never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Some slicers allow you to specify the raft to model distance. I have no idea if Makerware does as I have never used it.
    I haven't found an option, just using it as it was bundled with the printer.

Having a look at Slic3r at the moment it seems more flexible than Makerware

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter2015 View Post
    When printing with rafts I'm having trouble separating the piece.

The raft tears pieces out of the print of or leaves parts of itself permanently attached as though it is a part of the print.

Are there any settings to reduce the strength of the bond? I'm using Makerware and CTC 3D and PLA.
    What bed surface and adhesive are you using ??
    If you have a Glass plate on bed and are using Aqua-net spray, then there should be No problem.
    If not, that's what you Need !

Note: Let bed completely Cool before removing object, will help with large area objects
    Lower temp reduces bond
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 09-29-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleSeven View Post
    What bed surface and adhesive are you using ??
    If you have a Glass plate on bed and are using Aqua-net spray, then there should be No problem.
    If not, that's what you Need !

Note: Let bed completely Cool before removing object, will help with large area objects
    Lower temp reduces bond
    This is relevant because?

He is having problems taking the raft from the work piece, not the raft from the bed.

Oops, Sorry !
    Read it Too fast, since I had a print going .

We have never had that problem with Makerware version-2.4 but maybe later versions create the Raft differently ?
    I had other problems with version 3.7 when tried it. so went back to 2.4 .

Note: <<< I just noticed that I'm Now a 'Technologist' ! What ever that is ?? LOL
    I've Never been one of Those Before ! Does that mean I get a Pay-Raise ? LOL
    Last edited by EagleSeven; 09-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi! I have never used Makerware as a slicer. I used Slic3r software for slicing my 3d models. However, I found a link about configuring the raft settings for Makerware, this might come in handy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Lin View Post
    Hi! I have never used Makerware as a slicer. I used Slic3r software for slicing my 3d models. However, I found a link about configuring the raft settings for Makerware, this might come in handy for you.
    Thanks Bobby that's very useful, I was trying Slic3r yesterday and getting some acceptable results without needing rafts so this may be the better option.

@Eagleseven I'm still using the blue tape and original bed that the machine came with, glass bed seems to be recommended in all my trawling of forums etc. so will probably get one.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter2015 View Post
    @Eagleseven I'm still using the blue tape and original bed that the machine came with, glass bed seems to be recommended in all my trawling of forums etc. so will probably get one.
    JC
    We found a 10" X 12" X 3/32" glass sheet at Lowes-hardware and had them cut it to 2ea 6"X9" pieces.
    Cost less than $3.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the raft of makerware 2.4 is pretty easy to remove. Althouhg I did find on longer porints with abs - becasue the bed was so hot the raft and print fused into one piece.
    Yet another reason for pla :-) No rafts necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast