Close

GlowForge Laser Printer Proders Now Open

Glowforge is a different kind of 3D printer because it subtracts from organic materials--like plywood, leather, acrylic, and fabric--to make its objects from a laser. Instead of adding layers of plastic, it either cuts or engraves a range of materials to get the desired effect users are looking for. Its software is in the cloud and can synch up with a variety of devices, making the machine more user-friendly and affordable than many others out there. Also, speaking of affordability, right now if you pre-order one to be sent at the end of 2015, you only have to pay half price at $1,995. Read more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/97414/glowforge-subtractive-printer/

Engineer-in-Training
    Why are they branding a CNC laser cutter as a "3D laser printer?" Very confusing messaging.

A consumer 3d printer for less than 2k? big deal.... a CNC laser cutter for less than 2k is very exciting. Too bad most people who see their ads won't understand what they're selling.

Not going to lie, that video made me want to buy one of these... that cardboard globe light is REALLY cool.

Staff Engineer
    Remember the one thing that will never come through in a promotional video... Smell.

I could almost smell the burning cardboard smoke that had to be permeating that room while she was making that globe. Yes, the machine has air filters, but there's nothing that can stop the cut part itself from smelling like it just got burned.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so it's actually a 2d laser cutter, Not a printer and not 3d in any sense.

Student
    Add CarterTG on Thingiverse
    Yes, it's a cutter and engraver. Not gonna get hung up on their naming semantics. In the YouTube intro posted by Tested, they're looking at the possibility of etching with variable depth:

The specs indicate the focus system will follow a curvature deviation of approx half an inch.

The camera preview/positioning and direct-trace features were enough to pique my interest. The link that knocks off an additional $100 didn't hurt either: http://glowforge.com/referred/?kid=tCTeUI

I am this close to pulling the trigger on one of these. However, MSRP is never paid. I can see this selling for the same price in 6 months when they are readily available. I love the idea, i love the concept. I love everything about it. Just hate spending 2500$ and getting nothing for months

Engineer
    yes it prints on materials that are 3d and not completely flat. so when we hear 3d printer we are thinking about something entirely different but they are not wrong with the wording either. what no one has mentioned here is that this is another bre pettis and jenny lawton project. both are the absolute kings of smoke and mirrors, marketing hype and delivering products that dont work just to suck the consumer's money. i think they try to keep that hush hush because if everyone knew no one would trust this company. dont get me wrong, i think this thing is cool and i hope it all works out but they are supposed to ship these things in 3mos and they have nothing that really works. another concern for me is that you have a bunch of people with a very dangerous item sitting on their desk. people are going to get hurt or hurt other people with this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/3msa1a/glowforge_3d_laser_printer_reviewish_xpost_from/

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    yes it prints on materials that are 3d and not completely flat. so when we hear 3d printer we are thinking about something entirely different but they are not wrong with the wording either. what no one has mentioned here is that this is another bre pettis and jenny lawton project. both are the absolute kings of smoke and mirrors, marketing hype and delivering products that dont work just to suck the consumer's money. i think they try to keep that hush hush because if everyone knew no one would trust this company. dont get me wrong, i think this thing is cool and i hope it all works out but they are supposed to ship these things in 3mos and they have nothing that really works. another concern for me is that you have a bunch of people with a very dangerous item sitting on their desk. people are going to get hurt or hurt other people with this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/3msa1a/glowforge_3d_laser_printer_reviewish_xpost_from/
    Pettis is just an investor, Glowforge was a company and had a prototype long before he was involved.