Close

Lightbulb Can two different extruders have totally different nozzle sizes, speeds, and temps?

Hi all, I've been thinking about this issue for a while and wondering what my options are.

I'm planning to add a second extruder to my old Mendel/Ramps 1.4 printer.

I've been printing decently with the current extruder I have for about a year now and am now looking to add a second one of the exact same type (Bulldog XL) because I'm experienced with it.

My question is this:

I was hoping to speed up my prints. The current nozzle size I use is 0.3mm and gives me really nice detailed prints but I feel like they could be faster. I was wondering if I added a second extruder (call it the INFILL extruder) with a 0.5mm nozzle, I could use the 0.5mm for infill and the 0.3mm (or maybe even 0.2) strictly for perimeters.

My thought is that with a larger nozzle, I could spit out more infill faster and wider, and then the 0.3mm "DETAIL" extruder could slow down on the perimeters.

Can any software (I use slic3r) have distinct settings for each extruder (mainly speed/temps) and account for different nozzle widths on each extruder (reduce lines by adding line width)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Yes you can. Some slicers also have the option to perform "thick" infills once every 2 layers to gain even more time.

I don't know about Slic3r, but Simplify 3D has the interface inputs for all that.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Yes, Slice3r as well.

Thanks LambdaFF and Davo, I'll give it a try with Slic3r and post findings.