Close

Thread: Is This CoreXY?

Engineer

Is This CoreXY?

I am working on a New printer. I saw someone that was using a belt layout similar to this.
    but im not sure it qualifies as CoreXY or Hbot or some variant of either

Thoughts?

Hulk CoreXY 3d v3 Sep 22 belt Layout A.jpg

Engineer
    it was my understanding that on a core xy at some point the belts cross over themselves. im sure there are many ways to skin a cat so maybe not in every configuration but on any core xy i have seen they always cross.

Engineer
    Here is another version. where there is a belt loop on top and bottom. no cross over. but does this still qualify as CoreXY with its advantages or Hbot?
    Hulk CoreXY 3d v3 Sep 22 belt Layout B.jpg

Both CoreXY.

I think the important part of the coreXY thing is that the carriage moves on both X and Y while the 2 motors stay stationary.

The belt arrangement is irrelevant.

Staff Engineer
    Well, the belt arrangement is what differentiates between the CoreXY, the HBot and the Sli3Dr gantries. HBbot has a problem with causing the x-axis to try to twist out of position and on a flimsy frame (like you would find on many Reprap builds) can rack the entire frame out of square. Sli3Dr has completely seperated x and y axes, making it run on standard Cartesian coordinates, but it also uses double the length of belt that the CoreXY does, allowing it to strech more over time.

All that said, the placement of the motors on their respective belts in a CoreXY is totally interchangeable, and the belts on this are indeed in the CoreXY configuration.