Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Zortrax Contest - Win a Zortrax 3D Printer

Zortrax Model Library Contest

1. Only Zortrax M200 owners can enter the contest.
    2. To take part in the contest log into Zortrax Model Library in Z-Suite software and add a 3D model of your ownership.
    3. Added model has to be of your ownership, it cannot be owned by any other company or website.
    4. Added model has to be tagged with #Contest2015 tag. Only models with this tag will be considered for the contest.
    5. It is forbidden to copy models of other users. This kind of action will disqualify from the contest.
    6. All models taking part in the contest can be used by Zortrax S.A for marketing and promotional purposes
    7. The contest starts on the 21st of September, ends on the 12-th of October 2015. Zortrax will select the winner and announce it 7 days after the contest end.
    8. The winner will be informed via email given for registration on the Zortrax Model Library. The prize – Zortrax M200 3D printer will be sent to the winner within 14 days from the announcement of the results.
    9. The winner is to cover the costs associated with duties and the taxes regulated by the law of his country of origin.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    So, you have to own a Zortrax M200 in order to win one? The purchase being necessary to win turns this from a contest into a lottery.

1. There is a prize.
    2. There is chance involved in winning
    3. There is a purchase required.

That makes it a lottery. I certainly hope Zortrax thought this through legally. I know they are a Polish company and don't know if they have a presence here in the US where the law would be binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    So, you have to own a Zortrax M200 in order to win one? The purchase being necessary to win turns this from a contest into a lottery.

1. There is a prize.
    2. There is chance involved in winning
    3. There is a purchase required.

That makes it a lottery. I certainly hope Zortrax thought this through legally. I know they are a Polish company and don't know if they have a presence here in the US where the law would be binding.
    Part of the reason for this is because you cannot download Zsuite without owning a Zortrax 3D printer with a valid serial number, meaning you cannot access the new model library. You do raise a good point though.
    Last edited by STRYKR; 09-22-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: mistake

Awww... I registered just for this not knowing it was a lottery, not a contest.

Engineer-in-Training
    Not saying to not register for the "contest". But it qualifies as a lottery according to the US lottery laws because it satisfies all three lottery requirements (I listed them above). Its a polish company so it may not qualify as a lottery under polish law. Here it probably does.

Its also unfortunate that you have to already own one of their printers in order to win another one. Kinda silly. One would think they would want NEW customers. But, hey, more power to them.

Zortrax Official Statement: We’d like to clarify ambiguities arising in connection with our competition. The “Win Zortrax M200” competition is not a lottery – the winner is selected by the Zortrax jury based on the quality of the project. Moreover, purchase is not required to enter the contest. “Win Zortrax M200” is intended for Zortrax users and software is required. Z-Suite is an integral part of Zortrax M200 3D printer and necessity for the 3D printer results from the specificity of the product. Please, read our Terms & Conditions document for more details: https://www.zortrax.com/downloads/ZO...ntest_2015.pdf

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Zortrax View Post
    Zortrax Official Statement: We’d like to clarify ambiguities arising in connection with our competition. The “Win Zortrax M200” competition is not a lottery – the winner is selected by the Zortrax jury based on the quality of the project. Moreover, purchase is not required to enter the contest. “Win Zortrax M200” is intended for Zortrax users and software is required. Z-Suite is an integral part of Zortrax M200 3D printer and necessity for the 3D printer results from the specificity of the product. Please, read our Terms & Conditions document for more details: https://www.zortrax.com/downloads/ZO...ntest_2015.pdf
    Calling BS on that statement. You can say it all you want, but purchase IS REQUIRED according to the first post here and your rules as stated in the PDF.

Direct quote from the PDF you linked:
    1. Only Zortrax M200 owners can enter the contest
    Purchase IS necessary. Its stated in the first item of your T&C, unless you plan on handing out M200's to anyone wishing to enter that is. Is that your intention? If so, I would like to enter. Prior ownership of a specific product satisfies the purchase requirement of a lottery. For example, if you are required to buy a Budweiser beer in order to enter a "contest", then that satisfies the purchase required rule. That is why most "contests" allow entry via postal mail. Read the fine print of virtually any "contest" run by a large corp, you will see "Alternate methods of entry".

Requirements to be a lottery:
    1. There is a prize. Check, you win a M200.
    2. There is chance involved in winning. Probable. Depends on interpretation and ambiguity of the rules.
    3. There is a purchase required. Check. You must be a M200 owner already.

FYI, rule 10 is a bit ambiguous or slightly misworded. Your country or the country where the item is shipped from is the country of origin, the winner's country is country of residence or the destination country. Origin is where something starts out. Residence or destination is where its going, at least as far as shipping and taxes are concerned.

Just curious what your rules are in the event that the Zortrax jury ends with a tie on two or more models? How will you handle a tie? Give both a printer or what? I saw nothing in your T&C that discloses what occurs in this event.

I am in the US and as far as I know Zortrax is a Polish company and you are bound by your laws, not ours. The whole international aspect makes it even more muddy.

Anyway, enjoy the models. I hope someone posts the winner here so we can see what they came up with.

Peace. Out.

Engineer
    +1 for lottery.

We would like to refer to the above-mentioned concerns once again. In our contest the jury is choosing the most interesting project – this excludes both randomness and the tie. Zortrax operates under polish law, which states that contest with a jury excludes randomness and it is not a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Its stated in the first item of your T&C, unless you plan on handing out M200's to anyone wishing to enter that is.
    To be fair, I won a Zortrax M200 and therefore didn't have to purchase it. If I were to win this particular contest then it wouldn't be violating the three criteria you've outlined. Second, what if someone was given one as a gift without the intent to enter this particular contest? And all in all, does it really matter? It's a cool contest and awesome that the company wants to reward their users and introduce a really sweet gallery of high quality models to print on a high quality printer.